Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 2 new rats about a week ago and one of them is perfectly fine comes out of her bed when the cage door is open, will take treats from my hands, sometimes even climb willingly into my hands from the cage. And when I let her free range she will run around the bathroom and play under the towel I lay out, she actually interacts and will come and sit in my lap for some scratches.. But her sister Thelma is a completely different story. I have never met a more moody rat in my life.. She doesn't want to be held, touched, she wants nothing to do with me, And I feel so bad for making her get out of her bed just so she can actually get some exercise. I feel like she is just terrified of everything. Now sometimes in the bathroom if I'm just sitting there playing on my phone she'll come up into my lap and sniff around but if you reach to touch her she darts... Does anyone have any advice what so ever? And PLEASE do not tell me to just read the immersion guide because believe me I've tried and it's just hard to keep up with.. Btw she is not very food motivated): she will not take anything from my hands

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine weren't food motivated because they were pet shop rats. Every day I picked them up and put them in a towel and talked to them for half an hour. They are getting better and better. Still timid but alot better than they were. Just keep persisting. Keep talking to them. With patience and time they will come. It can take months for some rats to trust you.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Jojo was terrified of me for the longest time. He's starting to warm up and enjoys being pet and will cling to the front of the cage until I give him some loving. there's still a lot to work on though since he absolutely hates being picked up unless it's the lovely vet for whatever reason. Since he doesn't like leaving the cage I'd just every now and again reach in and pet him a bit. Since I am home a lot I was able to do it often so he'd get use to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts