Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time rat owner and got 2 rats just under a week ago from a pet shop. They both seemed fine at first but about 2 days ago one of them started sneezing. He seems to be sneezing pretty often now, both when he is in and out of the cage but mostly when he's moving around. He's completely fine other than that, he's still got a good appetite, is very energetic, his breathing sounds normal and we haven't noticed any porphyrin or anything. We use a mixture of bedding in the cage with the base being covered by carefresh small pet bedding, the house being filled with safebed paper wool and the litter tray being filled with back-2-nature small animal bedding, all of which was recommended by the pet shop as the ideal bedding. I've been doing some research about what it could be and I've seen that it could be due to it being a new home but the sneezing didn't start on the first day we brought them home, does that rule that out? Just worried because this is the first time I've had pet rats and I don't want to miss a respiratory infection!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Just a genera suggestion, pet shop rats are bred for animal food, not health and happieness. Also, pet shops recomend what gets them money, not what is good for the animals. (Side thought, what cage are you using?) Now, back to the issue. It could very possibly be a resperitory infection, but, it could also be something like the air in your house is dry, they are right by a window, dust, or any number of other things.

Reactions: aprimrose

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am a first time rat owner and got 2 rats just under a week ago from a pet shop. They both seemed fine at first but about 2 days ago one of them started sneezing. He seems to be sneezing pretty often now, both when he is in and out of the cage but mostly when he's moving around. He's completely fine other than that, he's still got a good appetite, is very energetic, his breathing sounds normal and we haven't noticed any porphyrin or anything. We use a mixture of bedding in the cage with the base being covered by carefresh small pet bedding, the house being filled with safebed paper wool and the litter tray being filled with back-2-nature small animal bedding, all of which was recommended by the pet shop as the ideal bedding. I've been doing some research about what it could be and I've seen that it could be due to it being a new home but the sneezing didn't start on the first day we brought them home, does that rule that out? Just worried because this is the first time I've had pet rats and I don't want to miss a respiratory infection!
It's most likely new-home syndrome. Even though it didn't start immediately. Just keep an eye on them. And I agree with Rats4All .... there are enough really good sites (including this one) to get advice from, rather than a pet shop. They're most likely to recommend what they have in stock, whether it's good or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks so much for your replies! We did do research before we got them so we knew what we definitely shouldn’t use for bedding but we were unsure what the ideal bedding is because everywhere seems to say different things. Is there a specific bedding that you would recommend? We’re using a multi-level metal cage with a plastic base.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I use Carefresh.

Reactions: aprimrose

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks so much for your replies! We did do research before we got them so we knew what we definitely shouldn’t use for bedding but we were unsure what the ideal bedding is because everywhere seems to say different things. Is there a specific bedding that you would recommend? We’re using a multi-level metal cage with a plastic base.
So I use this:

First I line the bottom of the cage with newspaper. then I toss in strip of various sizes That I've cut from some newspaper. Then I spread the bedding over it. Then I sit back and watch them decimate all the work I did to clean their cage.
I have noticed, though, the newspaper I use as a liner tends to stay in one piece a bit longer by "hiding" the strip of newspaper under the bedding.
I've even had moments of saying "Gigi - stop it" when I hear them wrecking it ( excuse me, I mean "redecorating" it ) and had Gig come running up to the shelf, like a kid caught going after the cookie jar.
That alone almost makes it worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts