Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have had 2 wonderful rats in the past, but it has been over 10 years since I've had one. So 2 days ago I bought a rat for my daughter, mostly for me because I will be the one caring for it as my daughter is only 3. We got a 7 week old female. I have been reading that rats are happier in pairs and I wanted to go back tomorrow and get a second rat from the same cage we got ours from. But I wanted to ask how do I re introduce them to each other? Will they be OK with one another if they lived together only a few days ago in the pet store? Amy advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congrats on the new rattie!You sound very similar to me! I just got a little rat about a week ago. Upon getting her I realized rats are better in pairs so today I went to the same store and picked out another one :) I choose a more outgoing one that was curious about me and overall health wise was good.How I introduced them was I put them on neutral ground aka my bath tub. I set my new one in and let her explore for a bit and then put in my other one at the opposite end and the found eachother and just hit it off. Now my ratties are imseperatable and my original rat is acting more outgoing and less scared of everything. Plus causeing havoc in their cage for some reason the water bowl needs to be pushed over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have the same question. i just got a female rat from someone who couldn't keep her. she is 3 months old and still a little timmit. i would like to get another rat to keep her company but am worried if they will get along. i don't have another cage to put them in so it will have to be a smooth introduction. what is my best option. can someone help me out with this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey guys!

First off, congrats on getting your new ratties!

Second, it's very good that you all want to get a second rat to improve the quality of life for your current rats. Rats are very social animals, and unless you can be with them 24/7 and have them out of their cage constantly (which is pretty unrealistic), they need a friend. :)

Because rats are so social, they will almost always get along if introduced properly. There may be some minor fighting at first, but that's just to establish dominance. The general rule of thumb for rattie introductions is: no blood, no foul. As long as no one draws blood, the introduction can continue.

I would recommend you guys read this: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?39500-How-to-introduce-a-new-rat-to-your-group!
It's a lot, but it's super helpful.

If that method doesn't work, you can always try the Carrier Method: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?193945-Introducing-Rats-using-the-Carrier-Method
This method almost always works, but can be more stressful on the rats, so try it the easy way first. :)

Good luck on introducing your ratties!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just remember that the cage should be clean so that it smells neutral when you put them both in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts