Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice,,,,trying to introduce new rat to resident,,,read alot,,,watched videos,,,,came up with an idea,,,since the resident is a little aggressive,,,put the new rat in bathtub,surrounded by a small cage, let resident run around outside,,,there has been some siddling from resident,,and some tooth flaring,,and a couple of lunges at bars,,,been doing this for about 7/10 days,,,and switching the two , resident in cage, new guy outside,,,niether is nuetered,,,resident does seem to be more accepting of new rat,,,,my real big question is,,,,am I prolonging the free range face to face,,,,am I making it worse, by not letting the 2 guys meet? resident is twice the size of new rat,,,and most likey never socialized with his own kind(saved from a pet store)

·
Registered
539 Posts
avoid hiding places since that can exacerbate a problem. use a neutral area. Maybe read up on the immersion page and immerse the aggressive rat first. Then you can introduce them.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Need advice,,,,trying to introduce new rat to resident,,,read alot,,,watched videos,,,,came up with an idea,,,since the resident is a little aggressive,,,put the new rat in bathtub,surrounded by a small cage, let resident run around outside,,,there has been some siddling from resident,,and some tooth flaring,,and a couple of lunges at bars,,,been doing this for about 7/10 days,,,and switching the two , resident in cage, new guy outside,,,niether is nuetered,,,resident does seem to be more accepting of new rat,,,,my real big question is,,,,am I prolonging the free range face to face,,,,am I making it worse, by not letting the 2 guys meet? resident is twice the size of new rat,,,and most likey never socialized with his own kind(saved from a pet store)
When I introduced my rats I put a little bit of water at the bottom of the tub and put the newer one in first then the older one on the opposite side of the tub. They hate the feeling of water on their feet and want out so they'll try to work together to find a way out.

You can also try putting them in the others cage and letting them get a smell for each other for like a half hour or so and then do the bath tub thing. That's what I did and they were friends within 10 mins or so. They squabble a bit but that's normal.

·
Registered
539 Posts
In my intro, I got a bin cage that smelled like no one and threw everyone in... then I went for a really long car ride... A really long one.. There was a 1 hour drive, then a couple hours where I was having lunch with friends (I checked on them often), and then a 2 hour drive back home. They got along fine after that. Some squabbles and wrestling... The youngest one played the part of the annoying younger sister very well.
HOWEVER, none of mine showed any aggression at any point. This could go poorly for an aggressive rat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts