Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! i adopted my 2 lady rats a week ago. on the left is Peppa, on the right is Mari. they're 2 months and a week old by now. Peppa is outgoing and fearless. she leaps before she looks. Mari is shy and introverted, and maybe a bit lazy.

i'm not sure how long it's supposed to take but i think we're making good progress bonding.

right now i have their cage by my bed so we are physically close plenty. for about 30 minutes every day i sit with their cage door as a bridge to my hands, and let them crawl around on my arms and shoulders as they please. today is the first time Mari sat fully in my hands, usually she would just lean over and rest her hands on mine until Peppa came and stomped all over her on her way out or in. i've tub trained with them once, idk how often to do that. it seemed like it was maybe overwhelming to them so i thought i'd bond some more before i took them away from their cage like that again.

tomorrow i'm going to move their cage to face the bed and open the door so it's a bridge, and see if they'll want to explore and hang out with me on the bed. i know they're supposed to get at least an hour of free roaming time every day but they're still not comfortable with being grabbed, and i don't wanna chase them down, so hopefully hanging out on the bed will be enough at the moment. with the progress we are making it seems like maybe next week they'll be chill enough with me for me to feel like they'd be safe exploring the apartment.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welcome to you and your gorgeous ratties.It sounds like you are making great progress.Just make sure when it comes to letting them freerange that there is a safe space or room for them to play,a hallway or big landing is often good.No wires they can chew on or furniture that they can get stuck under where you can’t reach them.Some people make play pens out of robust cardboard packaging.The walls need to be tall as the average rat can jump at least 60 cm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts