Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Dumbo rats Jupiter and Skipper. I have scoured the internet and I am more confused now then ever! I was looking to see what foods to give them. Well I was researching best rat foods and most r saying steer from most rat foods cause of artificial dyes and having way to many sunflower seeds etc. Then I looked up make homemade food for them mostly said to make up cereals with under 5 percent sugar. I got Rice Chex mixed it with Cheerios. Then I got shredded wheat biscuits with no sugar top mixed that with veggie pasta and give them that at night along with thier Mazuri Rat block. I give them veggies of all kinds I give them dried banana chips as a treat roasted unsalted peanuts without the hulls. I give a wide variety of foods from the home list. My question is am I doing things wrong? If so I’m what way? How do you feed your rats? Thanks for all advice!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I feed mine Oxbow Adult Rat food and all sorts of treats ranging from veggies to Cheerios to Critter popcorn.

They love dried fruits and peanut butter.

And for "training" I keep some mini M&Ms on hand.

When I first got them, I would google, "can pet rats eat ____" - just to make sure it wasn't harmful. But I think, as long as you are giving them healthy food and snacks - it more a matter of "how much" than "what:.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I personally use Harlan 2014, but I think Mazuri is a good block if a bit high in fat. (compared to other blocks)

I don't recommend making your own food unless you really, really know what you're doing. Most good quality, commercially available rat blocks are cheaper, more nutritionally complete, and all in all better. What you're doing now sounds good :)

·
Registered
PUB
1 Posts
I am interested in this topic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a small bowl I use for mine. What I did was I got three plastic containers. I would mix two different kinds of cereal in one feed that in thier bowl one feeding and give them thier rat block and thier treat. Next feeding I would use the second mixture of two or three different things such as veggie pasta old fashioned oatmeal and shredded wheat mixture. Next feeding they get what’s in the third container and always with thier rat block. I was thinking as long as I give them thier rat block they get what’s formulated for them it should be good. And they always get something fresh fruits veggies etc. I was wondering about how I was feeding them as in cereals and oatmeal.

·
Super Moderator
213 Posts
I give them selective science, you cant compete with a high quality block
supplement with snacks, veggies, SMALL amounts of cheerios, broccoli and lettuce they love :)

boiled egg whites are a great shout too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve found soooooo much awesome info on Isamu Rats YouTube Channel and blog. Here is a link to how to make a mix. We scatter feed it to our boys.
I use either Oxbow adult rat or Oxbow mouse and young rat as our base.
For the dog food portion, I just use our dog’s kibble.
for the veggies, I’ve been getting these awesome freeze dried carrots peas and other stuff from here and use the fruits they sell broken into bits as treats: Use Coupon Code FREEZER15 for 15% off your by FarmhousePickings

if I don’t have the freeze dried on hand I do dried lentils

for the cereal pasta portion I do broken bits of cereal, oatmeal, maybe a little chexs Or Cheerios but not much because of the sugar, or some bulgar or other grain

for the seeds just grab sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds but make sure they’re unsalted.

The Isamu video tells you how the mix in the right proportions and she’s got tons of other great info on her YouTube channel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts