Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions if anyone would be willing to help me out, that'd be so great 馃槉
*What is the correct way to pick your rat baby up and out of their cage?
- I put my hand in and let them smell me for a bit, then gently pick them up between their front and rear legs. They don't squeak but they definitely put up a fight grabbing on to tubes, the bars, or whatever they can grab into
*How do you train them to sit with you calmly so you can inspect their eyes/nose/ect? Also to get them to be more social when I'm trying bond with them?
- Original I had them shoulder trained but every since they discovered the comfort of being in my shirt, Everytime I do get them out of the cage they dive into my shirt and usually spend an HR or more laying or exploring in there.. when I try letting a friend hold one he usually finds his way away from them, across my bed, and back into my shirt with his brother. Even when I try to take them back to their cage they grab on to my bra and it's difficult prying them off... However I do really enjoy feeling their little heart beats against me 馃枻
*What would be preferred for potty training.... A litter box in the corner of their cage, or to just add a decent sized big rock into their cage.. or something else?
- They don't have the biggest cage but it's a good size for two rats

Registered
I have a few questions if anyone would be willing to help me out, that'd be so great 馃槉
*What is the correct way to pick your rat baby up and out of their cage?
- I put my hand in and let them smell me for a bit, then gently pick them up between their front and rear legs. They don't squeak but they definitely put up a fight grabbing on to tubes, the bars, or whatever they can grab into
*How do you train them to sit with you calmly so you can inspect their eyes/nose/ect? Also to get them to be more social when I'm trying bond with them?
- Original I had them shoulder trained but every since they discovered the comfort of being in my shirt, Everytime I do get them out of the cage they dive into my shirt and usually spend an HR or more laying or exploring in there.. when I try letting a friend hold one he usually finds his way away from them, across my bed, and back into my shirt with his brother. Even when I try to take them back to their cage they grab on to my bra and it's difficult prying them off... However I do really enjoy feeling their little heart beats against me 馃枻
*What would be preferred for potty training.... A litter box in the corner of their cage, or to just add a decent sized big rock into their cage.. or something else?
- They don't have the biggest cage but it's a good size for two rats

Registered
Hey there! So i used to pick up my rats the way that you do but i've noticed that its much easier if you scoop them up with your palm from underneath than if you were to just grab them. If they are too skittish for that, though, than you can always grab them by their torso with your full hand. It will take a little time for them to get comfortable with walking straight into your hand but they do LOVE going in shirts like you said, lol. Since you recently got these rats they are still in their exploring and adventurous stage, so they will climb (or try to) everything that they see. They see you as their mother in a way and they feel comfortable with you (You are doing well!) so they will always choose you over a stranger. Just give it a little bit of time and Maybe sit in a different area than your friend so that they can get used to the friend without any distractions. For potty training I would definitley suggest just using the corner of the cage. when you do clean it out just leave a few pieces of their junk in the corner and they soon will realize that that is where they ought to go.If you want them to be more calm then id suggest maybe a little less play time (or you can wear them out using new tricks) and more time being with you doing everyday things like watching tv, doing homework, etc; they should chill out a bit and learn that just because they are out of the cage it doesn't mean that its time to play. These are just some thing that i have learned but every rat and rat parent is different, so dont worry too much. I hope everything helps and stay safe!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts