Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this isn't the right place to post this, but I just signed up so I can only post here. My boyfriend adopted a three month old male rat. He's been very sweet, friendly, inquisitive and cuddly since we got him a few days ago. He seems to sleep quite a bit, he often crawls into our laps and falls right asleep after a bit of eye boggling. I was a little concerned that it seemed like he was sleeping too much, but when he's not being held he seems alert and happily explores his surroundings. He'll even wrestle our hands and groom us. He came from PetSmart (I know, bad.) and I couldn't resist getting him, he has a great personality.

He seems overall healthy, but I'm a little concerned. He doesn't seem too interested in eating or drinking much. At the PetSmart they were feeding him Oxbow, which we're also feeding him. He'll take a few bites out of the block before tossing it down. Maybe he's eating more and we're just not seeing it, because he does poop a seemingly normal amount, and it's solid poop, not fear poop. He hasn't touched his water bottle, but surely he knows how to use it as that's what he had at PetSmart. I've tried tapping it and leading him to it, but he's not interested. I put a water bowl in his cage, and every once in awhile I'll see him lap at it a few times. I just thought this was a little strange, because I have two male rats that are a year old now, and at his age it seemed they were eating/drinking more. I know males can be lazy, but my rats were all over the place when they were younger and now. He has no signs of illness - no gunk around his eyes, not sneezing excessively, breathing fine, pooping fine. I'm worried he may be depressed because he's by himself. Someone else adopted his brother and he was all alone at the pet store. We're planning on getting him a friend as soon as possible. There's not a lot of good places to get rats around here I don't think, but there are a few local (not chain) pet stores that take in unwanted litters. He's in a rather small cage at the moment, but he's pretty small and we've been getting him out for most of the day since he could probably use the extra attention since he doesn't have another rat friend. We just ordered a Critter Nation, so that should be here soon. I might just be worrying too much, but it's better to be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I have found many animals do not eat or drink alot when they first are in a new home. Just need to adjust.

Are you feeding him adult oxbow or the young version? The young rat version is generally not a favorite. It must not have a good taste as alot of rats are not fond of it.

have you tried some treats or fresh veggies?

Make sure the water bottle works for sure. Sometimes they can be annoying and not work well.

As long as he isn't showing any other signs I wouldn't worry too much.

Can u introduce him to your other rats?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have found many animals do not eat or drink alot when they first are in a new home. Just need to adjust.

Are you feeding him adult oxbow or the young version? The young rat version is generally not a favorite. It must not have a good taste as alot of rats are not fond of it.

have you tried some treats or fresh veggies?

Make sure the water bottle works for sure. Sometimes they can be annoying and not work well.

As long as he isn't showing any other signs I wouldn't worry too much.

Can u introduce him to your other rats?
Hmmm, it is the young version, so maybe he doesn't like it! He has eaten a few pieces of wheat cereal, some cantaloupe, and some oatmeal cookie. I think he's also eaten a little more of the Oxbow this morning.

I don't think the bottle is working well. Sometimes I get a tiny bit of water on my finger when I tap it, and sometimes I don't. He's started to try using it but seems to get frustrated and starts to chew the part where the water should be coming out, or smells the rest of it as if he's confused. I've been squeezing it while he drinks to make sure he gets enough, and I left his water bowl in there for now. I'll get a new one today.

I introduced him to my other rats, first separately and then both of them together. They're not his size at all, he seems petite and one of my other rats is especially large. He chased them around a bit and they let him knock them down playfully. They were pretty gentle with him but he seemed a little intimidated or stressed when they tried to play with him and he eventually ran off to hide. They can be rough with each other when they play and I wouldn't want them to accidentally hurt him. :(

·
Registered
953 Posts
You might try switching to adult oxbow and just feed extra protein to him while a youngster.

I always have a bowl of water as well as a bottle in my rats cages, for one they like to wash their faces in it and two I'm paranoid of bottle malfunction and 3 I just don't think all drink as much as they should out of a bottle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might try switching to adult oxbow and just feed extra protein to him while a youngster.

I always have a bowl of water as well as a bottle in my rats cages, for one they like to wash their faces in it and two I'm paranoid of bottle malfunction and 3 I just don't think all drink as much as they should out of a bottle.
I might see if he likes that any better.

I think I'll get another water bottle and keep the bowl in there too, just in case. He tends to mess it up and get the water everywhere lol but it should be a little easier when the CN comes. Thanks for helping out :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
they sometimes still splash around a bit, but mostly the water stays in the bowl. I use the plastics crocks that attach to the cage and I hang them so they have to go up and sit on the side of the bowl, which seems to keep them from splashing it out as much.

Like these: http://www.amazon.com/Lixit-Corpora...s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1441734631&sr=1-24 I use the large ones for water bowls and the small ones for under water bottles since I have a few rats who think it's fun to stick their fingers in the bottle to make the water run out.

As a side note, I like these also for food and toy boxes as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts