Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found a second female rat I could adopt and introduced them yesterday. They were okay on neutral ground, but if the new rat tried to go into the old ones cage (especially under the wheel, which is her unofficial bed) the old one would attack her. She wasn't injured, and the old one stopped if she went away. Other than that all she did was pee near the wheel and rub her paws on the floor.So, during the night I put them on separate cages near each other and today I tried to introduce them again, and the old one did the whole throwing the new one on her back thing - which I was told was normal but still scared because my old rat is like four times the size of the new one. I stopped them as soon as it happened.I decided to go slower now, especially since I can't actually put them in the same cage until the new rat grows more (she can slip through the bars easily)But about an hour ago my old rat started eating like crazy, I think she did that too during the night. Usually I fill her bowl once a day, maximum twice, but this morning it was empty and now, a little bit after I filled it, she went straight to it and started wolfing everything down. Usually she grabs a piece, goes to a corner, eats it and then returns for more, but this time she just stayed in front of the food bowl eating everything nonstop.IS this related to the new rat? Should I fill her bowl again right away or keep to my schedule? Also, should I let them do the whole "threatening nose-off" and "throw on back" routine or should I wait until my new rat is bigger?Picture of the two of them after I set up the cages side to side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would try them all in an empty cage, the smaller cage of the two. Only have a couple of water bottles and the floor covering, food should be scattered around so no one can hog the food bowl. By trying it in a bigger cage it tends to cause more confrontation and increases the chance of injury. Your bigger girl pinning the little lady and grooming her so she squeaks is normal and fine as long as she's not breaking the skin or getting fluffed up and angyr

·
Registered
140 Posts
The eldest rat is probably scared that the new one is "replacing" her, per se. By coming into your old rats territory, being in her spot, and eating her food, the new rat may just think it's innocent and intriguing, but the old rat thinks the new rat is going to steal everything. I'd suggest a really small, nearly bare cage, with more than one food bowl. Try looking for a thread on the carrier method, this should teach your little ones to get along.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts