Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I saw that everyone on here seemed to be very knowledgeable about rats so I decided to join to join in on the discussion! I just got two new rats Saturday night from PetSmart and have really been enjoying both of them so far. Their names are Smokey and Templeton. Smokey seems to be the Alpha but has already gotten in trouble. He hurt his foot yesterday in a cage bar and the vet thinks he might have broken a finger. They put him on pain medicine and antibiotics and said to just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't try to chew at it. So far he seems to be just as active as before (much to my detriment in being terrified he's going to hurt himself again). Templeton though is the one really worrying me now. I've read online about URI's, and I'm not sure if he might have one or it just be new home sniffles. He was perfectly fine at the store and on the way home, but as soon as I got him home he'd sneeze every so often. It seems to be something that he does only if he's up and moving around. When he lies down or sleeps he doesn't sneeze and you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference between him and Smokey. He's got a tiny bit of a runny nose, but other than that and the sneezing he sounds normal and acts normal (eats normally and drinks water and runs around harassing Smokey). I'm thinking about taking him to the vet on friday, but not sure if I should just "wait and see". I don't want to spend $100 uselessly, but at the same time I don't want the little guy to get hurt. Does this sound like a URI or just new home sniffies?

PS He also seems to (whenever I hold him and he's sniffing around a lot) be sniffing through the mucus in his nose so it sounds a little bit louder than normal, but he's not struggling to breath at all.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Sneezing now and then isn't a big deal, however if he starts to sound or feel like he's grunting or making noises when he breaths I would get him across to the vets. The same goes if he starts to look hunched and fluffy or heavily porphryn stained. Then if he's under about 3-4 months I'd get him on amoxicillin or septrin, if he's over baytril and doxy is the combo of choice

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I ended up taking him to the vet and she said he looks and sounds perfectly healthy. She thinks it might just be allergies (and unfortunately I do have a roommate that smokes so it might be that). I keep my room as scent free as possible and keep the doors closed off to prevent smoke from coming in. So far today Templeton seems perfectly fine.

I totally just got... "flea'd" by my rat smokey. He was like nibbling on my hand but not hurting me. It felt so wierd. I had a gerbil when I was a little kid and didn't know what i was doing so the poor thing was always mean and bit me. I was afraid a tiny bit when I got these guys, but so far I actually trust them more than cats I've had before. I'm absolutely loving these little guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I remember the first time my rats groomed me, I was absolutely thrilled haha! Welcome to the forum and the fabulous world of owning rats. As you've probably read, respiratory problems are an absolute pain in rats, you are going to have to be extra vigilant as I'd imagine cigarette smoke is a nightmare for them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Always better safe than sorry! :D any sort of smoke or fragrance (eg. incense, scented candles, febreeze, etc) could be causing excess sneezing. A good dusting when the ratties are out of the room can help as well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts