Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought two baby rats about 2-3 weeks ago. Soon after i brought them home, one died of mega colon. We haven’t been able to get a companion for the remaining rat yet.

Yesterday afternoon she started having watery feces. She had some cucumber two days ago and was reluctant to eat it but she ate it anyway. She’s still drinking water and eating like normal and she doesn’t seem to be in any pain. Her activity level seems to be the same too, still jumping and climbing around. She is a bit overweight but we’re working on fixing that.

Is it possible that she’s just stressed? Could it just be too much veggies? Is she sick? Is there something i can do to help her?

Edit: these are some pictures of her. I can’t tell if she’s just sleepy or if she’s in pain. They were taken minutes apart.

Edit 2: She has a vet appointment on sunday but we’re gonna try to get her in earlier. We are getting a companion for her tomorrow to try and ease a little of the stress of being alone. She is still active and doesn’t seem to be in pain and the diarrhea is on and off. She’s on a diet of young rat food, and small amounts of rice and toast as recommended by a user on this site for rats with diarrhea.

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
399 Posts
It is probably too many veggies or just age. I noticed this too with my rats at a young age but it went away eventually.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's possible that you may be giving her too many veggies. Was the cucumber all you have her? How much did you give her? How old is she? Is she still having diarrhea today?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
H
It's possible that you may be giving her too many veggies. Was the cucumber all you have her? How much did you give her? How old is she? Is she still having diarrhea today?
Hi, thank you so much for answering. She is about two months old. She had cucumber, carrot, and broccoli along with rodent block to eat. I’ve been holding off on the veggies since and she’s been having rice, small amounts of toast, and young rat food(suggested by someone on this site for rats with diarrhea). She’s been having diarrhea on and off still and her nose is kinda red.

·
Super Moderator
294 Posts
Veggies shoudlnt be fed too often and in small portions or will cause diarreah. Keep her on the block for a few days and see if that sorts it.
Get a cagemate - introductions and quarantine will take several weeks so needs sorting asap

·
Registered
321 Posts
Could you give an update on her? Is she still having diarrhea?
I'm very behind in the forum so excuse me if you already made a separate update post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi! We took her to the vet and it turns out she had a parasite. She’s on medication and should be perfectly fine in 1-2 weeks!
Could you give an update on her? Is she still having diarrhea?
I'm very behind in the forum so excuse me if you already made a separate update post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts