Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am so happy to have found an active and informative forum for all things rat! I purchased two rats for my classroom, and they were so wonderful and sweet that I bought two for myself.

Well, one's wonderful and sweet, and the other is...well, I think he's traumatized. Poor fellow. Suffice it to say, I didn't think I was unprepared for rat parenthood after my first experience caring for a pair for a few months, but I definitely was! I'm reading the threads on immersion and such to learn more about what I can do to help keep my new sad furbaby happy, and get his happy buddy bonded to me.

Nice to meet you all!

Mojojuju, momma to Bender Bending Ratriguez and Small Fry!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Welcome to the ratforum! Food is a great bonding tool. You can use baby food or yogurt on a spoon which teaches the frightened rat to stay close to you in order to obtain delicious treats. Spend as much time as you possibly can with them and they should come around eventually. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice! So far I have not been able to get Bender (my traumatized dude) to eat any food besides his kibble and grapes. Getting him to come out of the cage onto my lap for food (I only hand feed them, otherwise Bender would never emerge) takes a few minutes, and he still scrambles back home with his treat.

He's a bit of a biter (been badly bitten twice in a week, warning nipped a few times, and warned off by his body language a few others) and will not eat if I am near him. Well, except for one time, because I had had him out of his cage for a few hours trying to bond with him and he must have been very, very hungry, poor baby.

Anyhow, I'm posting a whole long litany of things later on tonight that I have tried so far and observations about his behaviors. I think I am reading him well, I just don't know how to proceed from here, and I want the experts to chime in, if they can! My husband thinks maybe this is too much of a project for a newish rat owner (our class pets were just such sweeties from the start, no problems at all), but I worry that if I return him to the store he will be too old and set in his ways, and will be put down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.