Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my family and i bought what was supposed to be a "pet rat" from a pet store about a month ago. when i held her in the store she was a little jumpy but i thought she just had to get aquainted with us....now she is still very afraid of us...wont come near us or let us hold her..she doesnt even like being petted.i am very gentle with her and love her very much so want to do whats best for her ...should i hold her anyway? or leave her alone? we also have another female in with her and they get along great...sorry for the long post :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Try holding her for a least twenty minutes a day. If she is too scared to let you do this, try giving her a place to hide on or near you. This could be a hoodie pocket, a hood, on your shoulder, in a pouch that you have with you... Wait until the rat's willing to come out on their own before you put them back in the cage. You can try giving her treats while she's out or in the cage, make sure she associates you with the yummies. You can also take something that smells like you, an old T-shirt or something you've carried with you or slept with, and put it in the cage so she gets used to your smell.

It's not uncommon for petstore rats to be completely unsocialized. They usually come from breeders who don't really care to handle the babies and the folks at the store often grab them by their tails or scare them, making them a little afraid of people.

Just be patient with her. She'll hopefully come around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the quick replies :D ...forgot to introduce myself...from maryalnd...have three pet rats...sweetie, brownie and a hairless named ben.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,
I'm a first time parent of 2 ratties to, so i know how scary it can be when you first get them. Our ratties tuppe and cornelius have just turned 4 months old and have finally settled down! It can take a while to get used to each other and being constantly paranoid that your doing something wrong! If you hold her get her used to your smell and feed her tit bits while she's on your lap she'll soon be eating out the palm of your hand.
Bet you'll be fantastic with her

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
today i took her out for 20 minutes like Forensic suggested..ive had her out before of course to clean the cage etc...but thought i was only stressing her out more by holding her.she was missing out on alot of fun! she walks close to the ground and hides her head and squeaked alot but after a little while she calmed down enough for mehold and pet her thanks for all the good advice :lol:

·
Registered
527 Posts
yay, i'm glad she's coming around!
i just got my first pair of rats from a petstore nearly 2 weeks ago, and they used to shiver and "fear poop" when i held them, but after gentle and persistent handling, they don't mind me petting them and they don't want to return home after playtime! :lol:
and welcome to the forums. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts