Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here goes. One of my rats has had one or two scab- looking things on her for a while now, and I thought that they were just from rough play, but I just checked her over and she has more than 7 on her now. I think maybe it's parasites? I don't see any black dots on her (and she's a white rat) so I don't think it's lice, but mites maybe? I found a piece of fur in her cage with one of the scab-things stuck on it, I guess I loosened it when I was checking her over. I took some photos of it, here: sta.sh/0ceaof2tnly
sta.sh/010egzd58dko
You can zoom in for a better look (I'm talking about the red part, the black part is hair)

Do you recognize this? Is it a piece of scab or a parasite? And if you know what it is, what can I do? I checked over my other rat, and she doesn't seem to have it............
I don't know what to do, and I'm really scared about it... I doubt my mom will let me take her to a vet......... I'm about to cry.........

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: I am going to ask my mother to take her to the vet, but I'd still like any advice that you can give?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Do your two rats live together? Could you take a picture of the scabs on the rat? What do you feed them? It could be a number of things: eczema, bacterial/fungal infection, food allergy, too much protein, etc.... mites are very contagious so I would think both would have scabs if mites were the culprit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you see the pictures of the bit of scab that came off I linked to in the original post?
Yes, my rats live together. I feed them reggie rat food mix?
I'm going to basically nag my mom until she agrees to take them to the vet- so I'm hoping I can get something to treat her
I haven't felt any scabs on my other rat, and she isn't scratching, so I think it's just with the one.
My infected rat is scratching constantly....... I feel terrible about this...

And I can't take a picture of my rat's scabs specifically becuase she's too squirmy, but her scabs look something like the ones in these photos (and that's actually my rat's exact coloring):http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/index.php?topic=4027897.0
The scabs are on her back, sides, and neck, and there may be some on her stomach but she won't let me turn her over.
Also, do you know, can I still handle her if she has parasites, or can I get them from her?

Thank you so much for your help

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Scabs plus scratching is mites most of the time... easily treated with revolution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts