Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm super excited, I recently picked up my two girls, Pasta and Wasabi! They're four months old, and so sweet and curious! They were housed with a bunch of other rats, and their coat smells fairly strongly of urine, which is making their new home stink. Advice? I heard rats aren't as smelly as other rodents, so I assume everyone was just peeing on each other when they lived with the rest of their siblings.
Another question -- I'm hearing all these stories of how bonded rats are to their owners. How can I encourage this? They're friendly, allowing me to pick them up and hold them, but will run all over the place and can't seem to sit still for snuggles!

(photo of the girls on the way home in a flower pot XD )
Bird Window Feather Pest Snout

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
If their prior home wasn't well kept, they might be a bit stinky but if you keep their new home clean, the smell on them should go away after a short while. You could wipe them down with a damp cloth if you want but I'd just give them a little time.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you have mint growing around them you can give them a few stems. Some rats like to rub it on themselves to smell better. They look sweet.
You can encourage bonding through treats. Rats are very good motivated. They're also easily trainable and enjoy preforming tricks. Teaching them tricks also helps form a bond

·
Registered
53 Posts
And as far as bonding goes: not all rats are very cuddly! Just keep picking them op very regularly for some head scratches, give them treats and find a way to play if the don't sit still. Mine never do, but they climb all over me and come to my hand for tickles, than run away and come back again. Our version of playing tag :)

·
Registered
Harald Fairhair & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Karma
216 Posts
If they are letting you pick them up. Then they are totally fine. As long as they are not sick or have improper care. Then they should just clean themselves off eventually. It is probably jus the new home. My boys Harold and Pilgore arrived super dirty from poo, but once they arrived home they cleaned themselves off quickly. Some rats just are weirded out by the new home and takes them a bit to settle down. LOL Naw what sweeties.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your advice! Changed the bedding and they already smell less. They have become super friendly after taking a few more days to settle in and will come running to the front of the cage anytime they hear me opening their food/chip bag! Very excited to explore the world of rat ownership 🤗

1 - 8 of 8 Posts