Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a new rat owner of two boys and I'm struggling with picking them up and interacting with them as both them and myself are quite nervous I've had them two weeks now and I'm worried I've left it too long to pick them up amd get them used to human contact I've been attempting to trust train them but it's taking longer than I expected. A couple days after I got the rats I tried to stroke them and pick them up and I got bitten very hard this has now made me very nervous of getting bitten again or upsetting the rats in any way. Can I get some advice on how to train them to enjoy human contact as all I want is to cuddle my rats.

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
722 Posts
What have you have you done to trust train so far?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been giving them cream cheese on a spoon at the door of their cage it's often a struggle to get them to come to the door though

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
722 Posts
If they are too afraid to come to the door, you can reward them for coming the closest they will then reward for coming closer and closer. Eventually, withhold the treat for when they come to the door. You can also drop treats into the cage as you pass it. If your rats find handling a scary experience, wait until they run to greet you then slowly condition them to stroking and handling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they are too afraid to come to the door, you can reward them for coming the closest they will then reward for coming closer and closer. Eventually, withhold the treat for when they come to the door. You can also drop treats into the cage as you pass it. If your rats find handling a scary experience, wait until they run to greet you then slowly condition them to stroking and handling.
Thank you so much for the advice

·
Registered
346 Posts
Keep in mind that each rat has different toleration to trust training. I've had some that took months vs weeks. I've even had a couple that never let me pick them up. I just adapted and let them decide.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Try different treats with them other then cream cheese. You might find something they like way more which can help you with your progress, just make sure to google if it's safe for them(most baby foods are a safe bet). Personally I'd switch away from cream cheese and never give it to them for training. It has a consistency which can cause them to choke. If you still insist on giving it to them anyway, water it down if you're not already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts