Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got the rats yesterday. They are two boys, brothers. They are 2 months old and were neutered a week ago. I need your help with explanation on their behavior and recommendations what do I need to do.
They both are scared a lot and afraid of everything, they jump with every sound. One of the rats is a little better today, he is sniffing my hand when I put it into the cage, takes treats from my hand, but runs away with it to the corner and eats there. I took him out of the cage today, but it was impossible to hold, he was running away and moving all the time, so I put him back because it was I think too much for him. He is very curious in the cage and active. His brother is terribly shy, he sits in a hammock tube and if he goes out and I come in the room or I move in the room then he runs into a hammock right away. I pet him a little today when he slept in a hammock and looks like he liked it.

So any recommendation on how is it better to tame them would be great.
Also how much time does it usually take for the new rats for adjustment to a new home?

The other thing is the relations between the boys. Today I saw them standing on their back feet in front of each other, very close like dancing. Also I saw how the active one got in to a hammock where the other one (shy) was and they started to make sounds or maybe one of them was making sounds, can not really tell. I afraid that they are fighting . Does it look like something dangerous and real fight or it is normal, does it mean they are not good together? What kind of behavior is dangerous and I must look for? Sometimes they sit together in this tube hammock and after some time I here sounds going from there and there is a lot of moovements in the hammock. I just affraid they might hurt each other.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recommend the Immersion Training sticky.

My two male rats, approximately 10 months old do the same things. My boys are not neutered. From what I have read, this is play fighting and dominance play. When they stand face to face they are "nosing off". I find with my boys that there is a bit of tension, like a test to see who will make the first move. As long as there is no blood drawn (very bad sign) and they get along most of the time and sleep together, they are just playing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pjugs, Thank you! Could you please tell me what is Immersion Training sticky and where to read about it? Yes there is no blood drawn in their fights, so hopfully they are just playing. And they also sleep together sometimes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yet another thing:) I just was sitting near the cage and put my hand inside, gave the treats to the rats and the less shy one was nipping my hand and sniffing it, the shy one also tried it and I pet them. But then after some time they seamed to get tired and lay down in the corner and looked sleepy. I tried to pet again the less shy one and he made a noise like I hurt him and I actually barely touched him. I took my hand off and then tried again, the same thing happened. So I tried three times and every time he was making a noise, is it that he tells me enough and to stop? What does this squeaky sound mean?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sova, all that you are describing is perfectly normal. :) I remember this as if it was yesterday, but it was 8 months ago for me and my rats. They are getting used to new place, and to you. It will take time, so armour yourself with lots of patience. And read that immersion guide. I did everything by trial and error because I did not know this forum then when I got my rats. It came out great in the end, but tips from this guide might definitely help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts