Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Sunday I recieved a call from a good friend of mine. She was very upset because she was moving to a new apartment that didn't allow pets. She wanted to find a good home for her two pet rats and bagged me to take them. She told me that she wanted me to take them because she knew that I liked animals and would give them a good home. I really had no idea what to expect. I've always had pets in the house but they've always been cats and dogs. I had never even been around rats before. I fell in love with them right away though. They're just so cute and nice. Whenever I come home they run to the door of their cage to be let out for loves. I've only had them for a couple days now but I'm bonding with them pretty quick. I was wondering if any of you had advice for a new rat owner? Like how often to bathe them and clean their cages? Cause I really have no idea...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'd say first look at some of the stickies posted in different folders on the forum. I could type all day but hey it's already there ;). They are packed full of very useful information, and they are easy to find! Yay!

I can answer the specific questions you asked though :)

Rats really don't need to be bathed. They are very clean animals, and they can get the job done provided their cage doesn't get filthy.

As for the cage cleaning, in general, you want to clean it once a week but it can depend on the rats. Also the more rats you have the less time you want to go between cage cleanings. Get to know the ratties, and if you start to smell the cage before a week is up then it's probably time for a cleaning.

I hope you find everything you need here! Don't forget to read the stickies :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
As for bathing, don't, unles you *really* have to. Some rats absolutely hate water and the last thing you want is a wet, angry rat with claws and teeth. Trust me.

I clean my ratties' cages out once a week, completely. I scoop out the poopie corner daily, though. When cleaning the cages make sure you get all the bedding and waste out and wipe clean with warm or hot water to disinfect. Always replace with bedding, but never pine! I use aspen and sometimes shredded newspaper if I have to.

That is about all I have on the mentioned subjects, but I'm sure other's will post loads. Good luck, congrats and pictures, please!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well what kind of cages do you have them in (how big)? Are there boys or girls? And what are you feeding them? Do you let them out for free range often?

Sorry for the questions but I just wanted to know since when i got my first rats I was doing everything wrong. Lol... And it would help us, help you, if we knew your situation better.

But as for your questions, rats typically groom themselves quite a bit so a bath is not needed often. But when you think they are getting smelly or somthing like that, then you could give them a bath with non-tear baby shampoo.

You should spot clean your cage everyday but it is really a 3 second thing. Just pick up the turds that you see and throw them away. You should do a good cleaning every week, week and a half. Some rats need it more, some need it less.

Amber

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer your questions...The cage they are currently in and that I received with them is much to small from what I've been reading. This Friday (payday) I plan to go to Petco and buy them a new bigger cage. They are both female's and I've been feeding them rat food. I've also thrown in some cheerio's and vegetables they seemed to really like that. Every morning when I fix their bed, get them clean water, and food they crawl out of the cage and I make sure to give them plenty of loves before leaving for school/ work. Once I get home they go wait by the door of the cage and I let them out for more loves. Before bed I put an old sheet down on my bed and allow them to run around for a while.

Thank you for all the advice. :]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts