Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So We have 2 little girls, Valentina and Emily. We rescued them both from the pet store after they had been kind of dumped there by relatives of their dead owner. Em came to us sick and we've been working really hard getting her healthy again and we've made great progress!! We took her in for a follow up and her sister, who is plenty healthy, has gained weight with her sister. So now I have a rat that needs to gain weight quickly, and another that needs to be on a diet. How on earth do i even start training them on this? Any suggestions? They have a cage with three levels and a bottom w/ bedding. right now I'm keeping 2 food bowls, one on floor 1 and the other on floor 3.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Scatter feeding is good, instead of using food bowls you just scatter the food all around the cage so they have to forage and work for it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Scatter feeding is good, instead of using food bowls you just scatter the food all around the cage so they have to forage and work for it
I agree. Scatter feeding makes food time a level playing field and works well at balancing out weight differences.

You could also put one in after free range a little earlier so she has first pickings, and can eat a bit more before the other one is put back in or take the smaller one out and put her in a carrier or something for special treats.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts