Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I had written about my little rat Luna that I basically dug out of the trash after a neighbor of ours threw her away. She was supposed to be food for the neighbors snake and Luna fought the snake, brave little soul isin't she. So I have had her a week now and I am going to go get her another rat to play with. I am scared to death and have so many questions. I am new to all of this. I have dogs and cats but this is the first rat I have owned. Luna does really good with me and have bonded. I just want her to be happy, but at the same time I am afraid that Luna and the new rat will not get along. I am also worried that the cage may not be big enough. I don't have enough money to buy a bigger one so needless to say I am stressed! Lol any advice from any one would be so helpful! Sorry for the babbling and thank you!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Good for you. I recently saved a snake dinner, too. What cage do you presently have? There are some really knowledgeable people here, so calm your fears. We will find a way to help and answer your questions to make this easier for you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Raindear.The cage I had for Luna was a small critter trail cage made by Kaytee. It was okay for Luna, but I went to Petco to buy another female rat for Luna and I asked the lady who was helping me about the cage I have and she said it would not be big enough for both of them. I saw another cage made by the same maker but was bigger and had different levels. The lady at Petco said that one would be great for 2 rat's. I didn't have enough money for it so my wonderful son went and bought it for me. Made me cry. So the new rat I bought is a white and gray spotted girl, very cute. I put vanilla on both of them to disguise their smell, put a towel and some treats in there and introduced them. Right away they both were very curious of each other and had only one minor squabble which looked like my Luna was asserting her dominance. By the way I named our new little rat Sky. So after a couple of hours together, they were grooming and sitting side by side. Luna seems happier and both of them seem to love their new home, specially Luna. So they appear to be doing well and that makes me happy. Thank you so much for your post and support. I wasn't sure if I should let them out for play time or just leave them for now to bond. I don't know if it's to soon and I don't want to overwhelm them. So should I just wait until tomorrow, and leave them be for the rest of the night? Thanks for any advice, like I said I am new to this and feel very protective over them and I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. I love them dearly! I am so grateful for this forum and for the support. Thank you!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Think of them as a bit like puppies. The more time you spend with them the better. They have a lot of time to bond to each other. Bonding with you is your priority.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you reindeer, I hadn't thought of it that way. I've spent tons of time with Luna since I rescued her. Today I did take them both out for a bit to cuddle on me. I figured they had gotten used to their cage, so I brought both my girls out. Luna from day one has always retreated to my shoulder and can sit there for hours, but Sky just wanted to run away. I am not sure why she did this besides that she is probably scared and I dont blame her! Is there any way to train sky to sit on my shoulder like Luna? Or just wait until she feels closer to me? Thank you again for your replies and advice. It has really helped!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thank you reindeer, I hadn't thought of it that way. I've spent tons of time with Luna since I rescued her. Today I did take them both out for a bit to cuddle on me. I figured they had gotten used to their cage, so I brought both my girls out. Luna from day one has always retreated to my shoulder and can sit there for hours, but Sky just wanted to run away. I am not sure why she did this besides that she is probably scared and I dont blame her! Is there any way to train sky to sit on my shoulder like Luna? Or just wait until she feels closer to me? Thank you again for your replies and advice. It has really helped!!
We have three females, and none of them are content to just sit on the shoulder for long.

Sky might not be running away from you. She might be more like, "What's this over here? Oh, neat! Hey, what's over here? Hey, why are you dragging me back here? I've already seen this. What's over here?"

Females are more curious and more active. This has saddened my wife somewhat because she wants a cuddler, and all our females just want to run around and check things out. Even our laziest rat wants to explore.

But there are moments of awkwardness when you first bond with them. Our rats tended to want to get back in the cage as quickly as possible. Our oldest even leapt from my arms to her cage (missing the second time and being retrieved off the floor). Our middle rat took a while to get comfortable outside the cage and would poop within a few minutes of being taken out. Our youngest is pretty fearless, and I don't recall her ever having cage anxiety. Now all three are perfectly fine being taken out of their cage.

So Sky might be a little nervous about being out of her cage, or she might be excited with the new things to check out. She might never be willing to sit still long enough to hang out on your shoulder. I don't really know.

I understand that they can become more mellow as they get older, but that just means when they're closer to death, so a calm female may not be a great sign.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Generally males are more quiet, females more active and inquisitive, but there are exceptions. The little girls that were most bonded to me still only stopped during their explorations for a few pets before they were off exploring again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, thank you both for your reply it definitely makes sense. I guess I have just gotten so used to having Luna climb up to my shoulder, that I figured the other would two. I should of been smarter about that one. Because I do know they all have different personalities. So thank you for your insight. I should also mention that when I would call her sky witch she wouldn't respond to and it felt weird when I said it, if that makes any sense. So as we checked each other out I kept rambling off names to her with no response. I came down to a name that I had just heard from a show I was watching, which is Shadow. So I blurted out the name to her and she percked up and came running right up to me as if to let me know that would be her name. It was really cute. She still responds to it, so I guess the name is a keeper and it suits her better, because her markings look like shadows on her back! Thanks again guys I appreciate you sharing your advice and your experiences with me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Fanciestrats. Hope I got that right. I am still bonding with both rats, Luna and I had already bonded when I got my other little girl Shadow. So I am now taking time with them both. I can definitely see that Luna is so much happier and during play time today it was really fun to watch the two of them play and wrestle. Shadow was a bit more subdued than Luna, but I think it's because this is new to Shadow. They climbed all over me and ran back and forth. It was really cute. Yesterday was Shadows first day here and Luna did really good at grooming her and they cuddled together when they got tired. Today I watched Shadow groom Luna for the first time, it was so sweet to watch and Luna just loved it, she just laid there with her eyes closed and relaxed. They have definitely hit it off. I love to watch them yawn and before you know it they both dart underneath their soft blanket cuddled up next to each other or on top of one another and off to sleep they go. Right now everything is going really well so I am very grateful for that. Tomorrow I am going to try playing with them, hand wrestling I think is what it is called. I'm not quite sure how to go about it, so again if any of you know how to do this and I must mention I don't want to scare them. But any tips on how to play with them I would really appreciate! Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts