Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my new ratties for just over a week, they are both boys and are 8 weeks old, occasionally they will chirp like birds, I have informed the breeder that I got them from and she assured me that if it does not sound like a chesty sound than it is most likely fine, but she asked me to get a recording and obviously if it became more frequent and worrisome to go to the vets. Here's the thing, I can't get a recording because every time I go to the cage whoever it is stops! I have only been able to be close enough twice and I did not have a recording device near to me! Both seem completely healthy, they eat fine, are loving and lively and show no other behavioural issues. Should I be worried at all or is this just their way of communicating with me and each other?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
A healthy rat should not make any sounds.

Usually when a rat is in a new home and adjusting to the new smells they may sneeze a bit for the first week maybe two.

A coughing wet sound or chirping often means it is more serious, but not always.

Since they are new to the house you could give it maybe another week and see if it gets worse or doesn't go away. Then take them to the vet. It is your call on how long you want to wait and see.

You can also make sure that there is nothing environmental that could be causing any issues.

What type of bedding are you using? Too dusty or cedar and non kiln dried pine can cause issues.
What type of cage are you using? Well ventilated is important, i.e. are u using a tank?
Do you smoke in the same house/room as them?
Are you using any type of air fresheners, candles, incense in the same room?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! thank you for the reply!

I am currently using the bottom half of a liberta explorer cage it is very large and I believe the ventilation is good! I am waiting a month or so to allow them full reign over the whole cage as the space could have been quite overwhelming at first. I use fleece bedding, it has padding on the inside and towelling at the bottom so it is super absorbent and it gets changed every 2-3 days (I know people get a bit iffy about padded liners, the boys don't chew on the liners as I have identified the areas that they like to chew and those areas have extra fabric clipped on top for them to chew and a myriad of chew toys, plus my partner and I regularly check throughout the day for chewing) It may very well be scent, I do use and oil burner in my room, it is about a meter away from the cage and I have scents like: Lavender, eucalyptus, geranium and bergamot oil. I also stupidly used some beaphar cage freshening granules in the litter box as the smell was quite bad after a day, I realise not that it is not good for them and I have stopped using it. But they do not chirp when the oil burner is on... I could stop using it but I do like my room to smell pleasant and animal smell is not always pleasant.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Stop using the oil burner and see if the chirping completely stops. Do they have porphyrin around their eyes and/or nose?Towels are not safe to use in your rat cage. I know that many people use them but they are many risks in using them that could easily by avoided by using something else instead.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
i would recommend something natural like vanilla or orange peel for scent

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know they say candles and other scents can aggravate the lungs of rats, but personally my rats have never shown an issue when I burn a candle in my room. Given, I have fairly 'natural' scents and nothing outrageous (sage, lavender, clean linen). This isn't really post related, but I didn't want to start a new thread, so... would lavender aggravate a rat? Obviously if it was an excessive amount, but I have heard of people putting a few drops of lavender oil in the bedding of their rats to calm them when they appear stressed or during hormonal stages/dominance changes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*Update* Sorry this is really late! I contacted the breeder and she seems to believe that the noise itself is fine and may even be a happy thing, they do it A LOT less now and they do not sneeze at all any more so that is a good sign. If anything does come up I will take them straight to the vets but for now they seem happy and healthy :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts