Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been absent from here lately because too busy... I decided to increase our rat population to 3 of each sex.

We have been doing all the right stuff, slow introductions, quarantine, ect... however, this is a question I have grappled with several times before.

The answer I have come up with, is that every rat is different, but I wan't to hear what you guys think.

For instance, when adding the female, she took to her mates immediately, like I have been used to... and adding the male has been a bit more tough, as usual. The last time I added a male, it seemed to help when I handled them LESS, and let them more time to work things out... and with this new rat, it is the same thing... but different, he seems more comfortable in my lap than anywhere else.

I have him chilling with me right now... he just sits where you put him, I feel like it is nervousness and not that he is overly docile. I am wondering if handling him more during this time has a negative impact on his integration to the mischief.

He is such a big guy, larger than my other male, Tiny, who was the largest rat I had seen, so this is a big guy, but he is not violent at all, keeps to himself, and when you put him in your lap he just kicks back, starts to fall asleep... basically, cute overload. He really makes you want to have him out. The females are all integrated now and doing fine, but this guy gives one of our males anxiety, and he gives this big guy anxiety, but Tiny could not be happier to have a friend with hair. (Camel is hairless)

So that leads to the thought... every rat is different I suppose. (looks down at Ronin (I think that is good name) pretending my lap is his bed)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm not sure why handling the new guy would make it more difficult for the other boys to accept him. I don't have much experience with males, and none at all with introing males to other males. With my girls though, the amount I handled the new ones didn't seem to impact how readily they were accepted. It really didn't with my neutered boy Rokk (RIP), because he was with me constantly, and two out of the three girls I had at the time loved him right away (the third just doesn't take to new rats very well).

Your boys probably just need some time. If there's no fighting, I'm sure they just need time to get accustomed to each other.

You're definitely right though - every rat is very different :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far so good, I have left them mostly to themselves except for daily run time... but I have pulled out Stone (That is what I am going to name him), and he just sits on my lap and seems happy.

He actually began bruxing and boggling, and yesterday, their 2nd full day together, they all came to the door to get treats, so I think males just take a bit longer to to accept each other since now the dom/sub dynamic has been upset. No actual fighting yet, and they were sleeping together this morning.

I caught Stone trying to give Camel a behind-the-ear cleaning, and at first he accepted it, but then freaked out, but again, no actual fight. I took the fact that Stone is now part of their grooming rituals a sign of progress, and I don't think it is going to be a problem. I am now in my work week, so there will be less time for me to personally handle them, but my wife gives them their run time every day, and I am sure I will put Stone in my lap for some petting tonight since he is just so cute.

He is a beautiful hooded rat. The colored part is a brown fur that fades to a silver at the tips, and the hood is perfect with an unbroken, even line down his spine all the way to the tail. He is almost show quality, with the only "flaw" being some slight color variation on part of his tail.

Having him in the cage has actually been interesting, since Camel and Tiny usually wrestle, but everyone has been rather nice to each other, aside from the anxiety.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to get some... it is hard to get good pictures of rats... and they don't like the flash too much.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Seriously.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts