Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

After trying to decide between rats and a hedgehog for the past few weeks, I went to a local reptile show here and found some nice fancy rats on sale. It's a few weeks early, but I'm glad to have come across them. Their cage is still in the mail, so I'm making due with a large plastic tub for now.

Two blue girls and one hooded girl. So far, they seem to have only 2 speeds; super hyper-active or sleeping. Even on "sports" mode, the photos of them while awake are all blurry.

Still no names for them! Any suggestions? I'm particularly interested in learning if rats respond to certain sounds better than others. I've been an ESL teacher for almost 10 years now, so I would like to try working their commands and names around the phonetics that they're most responsive to. I assume pitch is most important, since their hearing range is different from ours.

Thanks for any tips! Photos attached!

Eye Rodent Rat Iris Fawn

Dog breed Rodent Carnivore Felidae Whiskers

Felidae Whiskers Carnivore Fawn Small to medium-sized cats

·
Registered
865 Posts
You seem like your going to be a really good rat mom ❤

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your support everyone!

Everything is going great so far! Tonight is nearing the end of day 3 and things are progressing nicely. I think the breeder must've made some effort to socialize them a bit.

Day 1 - No touching, I just let them adjust.

Day 2 - stroking with fingers, only picking up to clean the cage. All three tolerated it easily.

Day 3 - picking up and holding for a few minutes each, plus playing with them in a separate pin outside the cage. All three did great! Aside from getting pooped and peed on several times by the hooded girl. Haha no big deal though.

Even though I raised feeder rats in the past, it was several (14ish) years ago, so some things did surprise me.

1. That smell! I mean, the good bedding material (CareFresh) is still in the mail and arrives tomorrow, but wow. Of course, I've read all the tips about baking soda and such and haven't used any yet, just been cleaning the whole cage daily. Only the hooded girl has picked a corner so far. The blue girls just go wherever for now.

2. They're just as quiet vocally, but more energetic than I remember. It's not too bad, and only lasts for about an hour, but right after I turn out the lights they seem to go into party mode. That's probably just because of their youth and will calm down as they get older.

3. They're eating more then I remember. They're still babies, so this may just be part from that and part because they've probably never eaten anything but lab block and their mothers milk before, so new flavors. I gave them an empty jar of peanut butter today and they went nuts over it. It's Japan though, so it's a glass jar the size of a baby food jar in America.

I'm super excited for the delivery tomorrow. They'll get their new bedding and a bunch of other cage necessities.

Still haven't decided on names. How long did it take yours to learn their names?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I find they pick up on their names very quickly,within a couple of days but you could get to know them first and see what name suits their personality.Also the smell will improve,they tend to give off a strong scent due to settling in excitement/ nerves.

·
Registered
rats
3 Posts
A little unrelated, but I too am located in Japan right now and was super excited to hear about that reptile expo going on! How did you come across it?
I just got my rats from. a breeder in Yokohama, and it was very difficult for me to even find her information. Your babies are super cute by the way:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts