Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2 ratties yesterday and i left them to get used to there home for most of the day! Before i went to bed i thought id try handling them but they didn't like it and kept leaping out my hands so i thought id leave them for today and try when i got back from college! I've been trying for a few hours now i let them come to me and sniff my hand then try to pick them up they let me pick them up but when i start stroking them on my hand they get freaked! I've just tried putting them in a cardboard box and then holding them over that just trying picking up stroking but it just leads to squeaking! Has any one got any ideas on how i can hod them without them getting freaked out? When i had hamsters they where fine after a few hours but the ratties just don't want to trust me =[ HELP!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, never had a rat, but from what I'm told... Be patient (;

And now, for a quote!

"Give them some time to get used to you

Rats are very social and need to know where they stand in the pecking order. They also need to know where you fit in. If you play the role of a gentle, bigger, older rat, they will respect you and also become very affectionate toward you. When you begin to spend more time with your rats, allow them to run around near you in a place where they can't hide from you, but where they have enough room to get away from you if they get scared. Beds, bathroom floors, hallways, etc. are good for this. When you pick up your rat to take them to where you want to play, give your rats a chance to climb on you by themselves. Some rats love to climb anything and will willingly zoom up to your shoulder. If they refuse to have anything to do with you, you can pick them up by grabbing them firmly behind the front legs with one hand and supporting their back legs with the other hand. Cradle them against your body or allow them to climb up to your shoulder from that position. Most rats hate to be picked up, but won't mind sitting on your shoulders or being held in your arms.

The first few times you have your rats out to play, they will probably not want to have much to do with you. This is because they are still unsure of who you are and where you fit in. The best way to get through this stage fairly quickly is to ignore them right back. Sit on your bed or floor with them running around and read a book. Bring a box of yummy cereal or healthy snacks and read and eat while ignoring them. Soon they'll decide they want to interact with you. You'll know you've been accepted as a friend when they start climbing all over you and asking for treats. Some other signs of acceptance are: hearing them brux at you, having them try to take food from your mouth or climbing up your shoulders and checking out your ears. If they mark you with little droplets of urine, you'll know you are at least considered a safe place to be - flattering, huh?"

A very big quote o.o

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww thanks =] I'll take them into the bathroom as there is no where for them to escape and its quite a small floor space thanks very much i'll update with progress any more info will be soo helpful too thanks again! x :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
TREATS! lol, rats love treats, they may associate you as as something good if you give them treats, and I don't know, I never fallowed the give them space. Soon as I get a new rat, if is not completely freaked, I sit at my computer and let it rest on my shoulder. Sooner or later the rat comes around and starts to sniff.

But don't give up, they are young, I think, and will come around. Some rats are even interested in you and wanna play but don't like to be picked up, try a new way at picking them up, like scoop them up and hold, youll find a way.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks i'll give it ago their sleeping in the home made hammock i made them yesterday lol they love it =] i will give them a dog biscuit i hear they like those sort of treats! And i will then try again when they are awake and active. Yes they are young about 6-7 weeks i think somewhere round there so they are quite small as well very cute as well hehe thanks for the advise:D x

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just held one of my rats for the first time! went very well he was a bit nervous and tried to run away quick but i had him and i feel happy now im getting somewhere! my other little boy is terrified atm but if i keep holding his bro he should think im no threat to him either! he still has his baby fur and small curling whiskas so il try when that's all gone maybe! x

·
Registered
418 Posts
Barbiie said:
he still has his baby fur and small curling whiskas so il try when that's all gone maybe! x
You might have a rex type rat and he might never loose those curly whiskers! I'm pretty sure the normal ones have straight whiskers all the time! Good luck with socializing your babies!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They look like they are straightening out now and his hair is becoming more longer like his brothers im not sure tho il have had them a week Tuesday im holding one of my boys now hes down my top he loves it down there lol im leaving his bro for a while longer he wont let me touch him yet but im trying hard =] thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
My girls were extremely shy when I first got them. Now when I walk away from them they leap up on my legs and start climbing me say if to say "Where the poop do you think you're going?". Maxxie is still very much to herself. She will come to hangout but she's not like the other two who want me with them all the time.

I just took them out to a safe place (the bathroom). They can't hide behind anything but there was enough space for them to do be away from me. They came over when they were ready. I had to bribe Maxxie with treats though. She wasn't as easy as the other two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts