Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just got three female rats last night, they were an rehome as the woman was moving. She was keeping them in a bird cage so I'm picking up a larger cage tonight. I want to litter train them so I should start that as soon as they move into the new cage? Is it too soon to move them to a new cage? They're using carefresh right now so I would use that in the litter box and something else for the rest of the cage?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I would go ahead and put them in the new cage asap - it might take them a while to adjust to the extra space but they will thank you for it eventually.
It is a good idea to use a different litter in the litter trays from the main cage so they can differentiate between the two areas. I personally line the floor of my cage with puppy pads and fleece, and use paper pellet cat litter in the trays.

I also pop a large river rock in the litter trays something about the size of your palm. Rats are attracted to peeing on these rocks for some reason, and it really aids the litter training. Mine like to perch on their rock and preen as they do their business. :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just switched my babies from a completely litter lined cage to having fleece liners and separate litter boxes. I found that when I made the change they instantly used the litter box for their business!!! If your cage allows it I would recommend fleece liners for litter training as it's easier for them to tell the difference :) but that's just from my experience. Also pee rocks definitely work! I don't know how or why but they just love to pee on them...I got mine from the aquarium section of the pet shop just to be safe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is going to sound perfectly daft, but... I live in country which doesn't HAVE rocks. We have swamps, and they use oyster shells for road fill. Any ideas for where to get rocks suitable for the ratties?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts