Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my rat on October 27th. I had her overnight and the next day I went and got her a cage mate at the exact same pet store. Introduced them and they loved each other right away. I let them play and observed them and they seemed to get along great still so I caged them together that night.

The first one that I got however, the next day started sneezing a bit. So I looked online and pinpointed it as getting used to the new home. Realized afterwords that I had them on pine/cedar wood shavings which is toxic (I had them on it for about 2 days) which after realizing that, switched to a paper bedding made by "Kaytee".

A few days later I realized that it didn't make a difference in her sneezing (the rat I got second is fine through all this by the way) so I look online and find out that echinacea helps build up their immune system. So I added that to their water as well as started giving the sneezing rat non drowsy nasal and sinus decongestant relief (pseudoephedrine hydrochloride tablets USP 60mg). I gave her half of a child's dose which is 1/4 of the pill, crushed up and mixed with baby food. One dose in the morning and one at night and kept an eye on her and noticed a bit of a difference as far as sneezing. I did this for 7 days (today is the 7th day and I only gave her a dose this morning)

However, tonight I'm noticing she's sneezing a lot again (it seems to happen first thing in the morning and more at night).

I'm not sure what other home remedies I can do at this point to help her. WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO TO HELP THIS OTHER THAN GO TO A VET?

Also, I forgot to mention that she's cleaning herself regularly, drinking regularly, eating regularly (although the other rat steals food from her if she doesn't eat her treats quickly enough) and is playing; running on her wheel (she stops after a bit and sneezes) and is wrestling with the other rat.

I don't know if I'm over-reacting and just need to give her time to settle in more.

ANY HOME REMEDIES OR TIPS ARE VERY HELPFUL. THANKS :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finger Hand Material property Nail
I also forgot to mention that I was putting this in their water before I noticed the sneezing and switched to putting the echinacea instead. But tonight have switched back to putting these vitamin drops in instead to see if it makes a difference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.