Rat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm under the impression that both of my new rats might be suffering from a respiratory infection :( I had them out today on the bed with me and one of them started wheezing heavily which coincided with his breathing. They've been sneezing a lot but I assumed that was being in the new environment at my house. I don't know if the wheezing was stress related, and I haven't noticed any red on their eyes or nose. But I'm taking them to the vet tomorrow to be sure. I will take care of my ratties even if I've only had them for 3 days! Love these guys so much.

·
Registered
475 Posts
they might just be talking. I know that sounds weird but rats talk a lot like that too. Or it could be because they are new and so they are in a new place. The best way to see is if you hold the rat's belly to your ear and listen for clicking sounds. It's called rat phoning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they might just be talking. I know that sounds weird but rats talk a lot like that too. Or it could be because they are new and so they are in a new place. The best way to see is if you hold the rat's belly to your ear and listen for clicking sounds. It's called rat phoning.
Thanks for the tip! Not sure if I should take them to the vet anyways just to make sure there are no other issues. Only $20 per rat, but I'll make the decision tomorrow I guess.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'd bring them in, personally. In the past I've had baby rats come home and get a myco flare up and needed a round of antibiotics. I think the stress of a new home can cause a flare up for some or if they were exposed to any other virus' from where they came from causing respiratory infections. They might be very happy with their new home-so when I say stress I mean even happy stress. :) I know when I was a new owner having a vet do a look over made me feel better about it all as well. With time you'll recognize what is normal with them and what is a concern.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd bring them in, personally. In the past I've had baby rats come home and get a myco flare up and needed a round of antibiotics. I think the stress of a new home can cause a flare up for some or if they were exposed to any other virus' from where they came from causing respiratory infections. They might be very happy with their new home-so when I say stress I mean even happy stress. :) I know when I was a new owner having a vet do a look over made me feel better about it all as well. With time you'll recognize what is normal with them and what is a concern.
Thanks so much! Both of you have really reassured me. Are the antibiotics usually given via injection or something you put into their food/diet?

·
Registered
953 Posts
the antibiotics are something you would give at home usually. I wouldn't want to put it in their regular food or water-no way to make sure they got the right amount or could make them not drink their water. Usually it's something you can mix with something tasty though. A little jelly, or yogurt can be good mixers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the antibiotics are something you would give at home usually. I wouldn't want to put it in their regular food or water-no way to make sure they got the right amount or could make them not drink their water. Usually it's something you can mix with something tasty though. A little jelly, or yogurt can be good mixers.
Just wondering, do you usually try to spoon feed them it? Or just place it in their cage? My rats are getting more comfortable with me by the day and will eat from my hand, but still are a little skeptical sometimes.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would try a spoon. If that doesn't work-maybe you can separate them for enough time for each one to eat their little bit. At worse you would need to syringe it into the side of their mouth.

You might not have to antibiotics at all. But you could try and give a little of something mushy that mixes well as a treat before you go in to see if something is irresistible. Other things-baby foods-juice. Mine love soy milk. Probably cause I drink it and they want what I have.

·
Registered
680 Posts
For Tempy I can put the meds on a little piece of bread, ball it up and give it to him and he'll eat the whole thing. Buddy is pickier. I have to hide it in yogurt or cream of wheat w/jam. Even then it can be a pain to get him to take it all. Doing the syringe in their mount is terrible. They don't like it at all and will struggle with all they have to prevent you from doing that. I read somewhere that if you squirt it on their belly they will be compelled to lick it off because they don't like to be dirty, but I've yet to try that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For Tempy I can put the meds on a little piece of bread, ball it up and give it to him and he'll eat the whole thing. Buddy is pickier. I have to hide it in yogurt or cream of wheat w/jam. Even then it can be a pain to get him to take it all. Doing the syringe in their mount is terrible. They don't like it at all and will struggle with all they have to prevent you from doing that. I read somewhere that if you squirt it on their belly they will be compelled to lick it off because they don't like to be dirty, but I've yet to try that.
Thanks for all the tips everyone. Hopefully everything will be alright when I take them to the vet tomorrow, but God forbid, at least I know what works :)

The wheezing/screeching seems to have stopped. But the sneezing is still very prevalent. Still can't tell if there's any red on nose/eyes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:

Took both of my rats to the vet today and was prescribed Baytril. Supposed to give it to them 2 times a day for the next 7-10 days. I was incredibly surprised when the total cost was $26.00 to treat both rats. I LOVE my vet. Now I just need to figure out how to get them to injest the stuff.

·
Registered
475 Posts
UPDATE:

Took both of my rats to the vet today and was prescribed Baytril. Supposed to give it to them 2 times a day for the next 7-10 days. I was incredibly surprised when the total cost was $26.00 to treat both rats. I LOVE my vet. Now I just need to figure out how to get them to injest the stuff.
I wish I had your vet!! I love your vet too!! haha Your vet didn't give you tiny syringes to givve them the baytril with? Cause mine did? Along with cherry flavored baytril syrup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
for my girls I put their antibiotics on a small piece of stale bread and sit with them until they eat it. Most vets can also do a flavor enhancer for medications (like pork or banana) you might try asking about that, that way the rats feel more confident about eating it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.