Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i just got my own rats (to avoid confusion, i have been taking care of my friends rats for the last few weeks). my rats are am you may have guessed are from s petshop.now i was just wondering the time frame for rats getting "socialized". i know it may depend on the rat, but just roughly.ive had them for a total of....5 hrs maybe. i left them to get orientated with the cage for about 1 hr, one was obviously more adventurous as when he got into the cage he immideately started jumping and clinmbing around. but after a while of him climbing on mine and my friends hand, we went out.when we came backl and tryed to give him some carrot, he was cowering in the corner. after a while we managed to get him in my shirt and the other in my friends...then we swapped. they were fine after that and took food from our hands. then l8r when i came back they had reverted to cowering in corners, so i just put my hand at the door, but after like half an hour they were still just cowering. what should i do? any help woul;d be appreciated

·
Registered
48 Posts
leave them for a day or so to settle into their new habitat, you will just scare them by forcing them to be handled before you have allowed them to realise that this is their new home, after that stage is done then start the handling, the more handling the more they will get to know you and trust you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
so where did you get them from in the end? had a friend that was in London today and wanted to know if it was true about the poor little puppies in the small glass (french) like cages but a pet department was nowhere to be seen? is it hidden? or did you get them somewhere else?

·
Registered
192 Posts
3 out of our 4 rats are pet shop rats... they all became socialized faster than the rat from the breeder. The problem was that one came with an inner ear infection that did not show itself until later, and even after a course of antibiotics, she is left walking with a permanent tilt, and probably a mental retardation when judged by her change in behavior. She lived though, and has slowly but surely began to mellow out, but it has been months after she got over the illness. So, just quarantine, that is the word of the day for pet store rats.

·
Registered
527 Posts
yeah, like Cassi said, leave them alone for a day so they can get begin getting used to the smells and sounds of their new home.
my girls shivered and fear pooped when i picked them up the first few days, then they stopped and became more and more confident.
putting them in your shirt really does work, so you should keep on doing that..but soon they'll get bored and will try to escape from your sleeves so beware!
i've had my girls for 5 weeks, and they're still a little skittish, but that's okay.
they've been handled every day since i've gotten them (except for the one day that they settled in) for at least 30 mins, usually an hour. =)
good luck with your boys, and i hope to see some pics in the coming days!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've always been told to leave them a few days to get aclimatised to their new home. However, upon discussing this with my vet, he is under the impression that handling them (albeit not all the time when they have just got home!) 'breaks' them quicker.

The same can be said with human fears, flood the senses and the fear disappears more effectively than when slowly desensitized.

Don't know how relevant that is, just sticking my oar in, as usual :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've had my two rats since saturday, and they are starting to get used to me, and they are starting to let me pick them up in the cage.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What sucks is 99% of rats take about a month (or more) to grow out of pooping outside the cage. My wife and I would put our rat blanket out over the bed and let them run around and get used to us, plus it's fun to be invaded by rodents. Females are going to be more curious and they aren't hardly going to sit still ever... the males will eventually settle down and chill out, sometimes just sitting in your lap and letting you pet them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i got them in hharrods, it is hard to find, its on the secpnd floor neer the christmas and suitcase section.and i think it has electricals on that floor, but yes it is hard to find. and about the puppies, they keep them in a lond glass cage/aquariam thing.

but an update on the boys. the champagne one is SOO sweet and comfitent. its only the second day and already hes comeing up to the cage dor. and when i take him out he comes running up mu jumper nd into my hair. it so cute. but im taking it slower with the brown hooded one, so far hes only had to courage to let me feed him throught the bars, but not by hand when the door is open, but seeing as im using yougart he has to stay there so i think he will be fine, it will just take a bit longer.

oh btw, im calling them by their markings coz they dont have names yet =[. im having a bit of trouble naming them, no name seems to stick. but oh well il put up some pics l8r!

anywhoo, thnx 4 all ur help

·
Registered
549 Posts
You shouldn't feed them through the bars, it teaches bad habits and makes them likely to bite fingers if they go through the bars. Just a tip

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bout the bar thing, i thought it was ok if like every time you gave them food you would say something like "sweetie" and when you just out you hand it to pet them you would say "be gentle" or sumthing.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Um, well, theoretically, but my boys never understood the difference.

They do and will nip through the bars, and everyone who meets them is warned of this.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I love putting my fingers through the bars to say goodbye or hello, and they will fight for attention of "the finger"... anyway, feeding them through the bars would make them more likely to think the finger is "the food", and I would miss petting them through the bars to say goodbye or hello.

I open the cage door and give them treats... they will love this and run to the door and beg you to come outside, sometimes they won't beg, they will just squeeze past your arm and suddenly there are rodents on your table, either way, just give them the treats through the door.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts