Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The humane society in Toronto has tons of rats. Like I mean tons. So I was thinking about adoption. Maybe two boys. But the seem to only have groups of four or five. What do you think about splitting the up. Will they be depressed. And also what is a good temporary cage I can use.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And to be clear I have a SCN with only two boys so I think four is my max but I think they will have room. What do you think on that.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
yeah I probably wouldnt put more then 4 in that cage. You could also get the expansion and make it a double though lol :)

I would take to the people who work at the shelter & see how well they know the rats. Some may be very close to each other and some may not be. It is very possible to find two that are well bonded and just take them.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah. I just don't want to cram them in their especially because they don't get as much free time as I like them to. But I'm planing on doing homework on the couch with them so they get more free time. And they can't jump off. (Hopefully). Also I don't really have the money to pay for the expansion myself and my parents as much as they love the rats (they really do) don't want to pay for something in their view unessecary like a cage for rats we don't need.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would say if you could provide them with adequate free range time, that having 4 rats would be fine. Like moonkissed said, I would take to the shelter staff, and you could probably find 2 that are good pals, and wouldn't mind leaving their mischief. So long as they were together.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just looked and they one lone male rat. Yay. If I could introduce him though because it says he is one and my rats are about 11 months. But seriously they have 25 rat. (I counted). Like I would get another level to my cage and adopt four or five if I could.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also what should I say to my parents. They do like rats but we have five probably soon to be four pets. Fish could look better. And they say we are at full capacity. Which I can understand.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Also what should I say to my parents. They do like rats but we have five probably soon to be four pets. Fish could look better. And they say we are at full capacity. Which I can understand.
Tell them the truth. You want to adopt an animal in need, the shelter is overwhelmed. Tell them how many are there, and they can't be provided with proper care (free time, enrichment) as no one donates for small animals. The money would go to feed and house other animals in trouble. Tell them you have the space to make a lonely, unloved animal a happy member of a family. Because that's the truth.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I told them. And they said we could donate. But I said no one wants to adopt rats. They said you are not responsible enough. And they were tired. So I'll talk to the. Tomorrow and update you guys.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I told them. And they said we could donate. But I said no one wants to adopt rats. They said you are not responsible enough. And they were tired. So I'll talk to the. Tomorrow and update you guys.

You could always make a deal. Say you have a job, or if not allowence money or such, you can talk to the humane society (and your parents) about paying for it but keeping it there. You'd have to pay for his food and care and go visit him all the time. That takes commitment and responsibility. If you can do it, you are allowed to save the rat, if not you continue donating and paying for his care.

When my boyfriend was a kid that's what his mum would do with the bunnies they adopted. She made them work for it. They were little so she paid for the bun and didn't tell them, they just knew they had to come bring it food and toys and play with it every time they were done school. She made sure they were up to it. They learned to take care of it properly, to be responsible.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I talked to them and they said no. So I'm going to have to use a diffrent approach. Any ideas. Also I can't pay for him and take care of him there because it's too far away from my house.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts