Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Hi there I am new here. I am looking to buy two rats, i'd like two males as they are calmer but I am scared of them smelling. My brother had two mice about 10 years ago and they stank awful. Is this the case with male rats? thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome, and as for the stench from males, i dont know. But i have a female who is really calm and she sits on my shoulder. Well good luck in finding your boys

·
Registered
393 Posts
You'll be glad to hear that this isn't the case with male rats! Male rats do have a little bit more of an odor than females but nothing like in mice. Male mice stink. Have you considered rescuing instead of buying? Or even looking into a reputable breeder?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd love to rescue but I've had a browse on the internet to find places in Leeds and I can't find any. Do male and females react to their owners in the same way?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Both males and females tend to be very playful as youngsters. The difference is that males are generally seen to become more laid back as they age and become better lap rats while females remain more inquisitive and active/playful. Of course, there are exceptions to this as all rats have their own personalities and such.

Here are some other UK rescues I found upon searching more:
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/resources/webdirectory/?c=004001

Here are some more places to look for breeders:
http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/ratinfopacket.html#breeders

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have 2 girls. One is very laid back, more of a lap rat. The other is more typically busy girl. She redecorates the whole cage every night.

For odor, are you talking about the rats themselves or the cage?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm talking about the age, when my brother had mie the cage would stink again a day later. I am kinda hoping that rats are kinda like gerbils because they never smelled. But gerbils are from the desert so they naturally conserve water therefore not peeing very much

1 - 7 of 7 Posts