Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted two female rats last Saturday, it's my first time adopting (yay!) and first time having more than one rat at a time (I know it's better that way, but when I was younger I was only allowed to have one) so some of this is really new to me. They came in together by the way, so they already know each other. Anyway, I read beforehand that it's better to let them get used to the cage for the day, then slowly try to bring them out. The last couple of days I decided to just leave the cage open while keeping an eye on them since I did that for my other rats in the past. I figure it's better to give them a chance to come out on their own if they are ready to explore a little bit. Neither of them have, but Jasmine gets really close to coming all the way out, while the other, Rory, barely even peaks her nose out. I thought maybe Jasmine just needed a little boost so I tried to grab her but then she just looked really fearful and I didn't want to push it. The last thing I want to do is rush them before they are ready, but I figure they would be bored in there by now? I guess I'm just looking for some general advice on this subject. I wouldn't want to take too long to where they'd never want to leave the cage and live a dull life, but I also don't want to force them out if they absolutely do not want to. Is it just too soon?

Another question about play fighting- like said, this is my first time having a pair so it's the first time experiencing this. They wrestle around and I read that's normal and it's just playing, but one of them (can't tell which one, or if it's both) does let out little squeaks and that scares me a little bit. Is a little bit of squeaking normal? I haven't seen any real bites/scratches, and if it sounds like it's getting too rough I can just say "girls!" and they will look at me and calm down. Just looking for some peace of mind with this as well, I don't want this to be a start of something more serious, and if it is I would like to know what to do.

Okay I think that is it, thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, I also adopted two rats this Wednesday, but boys. I had the same questions as you and this is my thread you can look through it there are couple answers there.
http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?239354-New-rat-owner

My boys are also very shy, I open the cage and put my hand inside and give them treats and they are much better with it today but still jump at every sharp sound. Today I decided to take them out, I took them to our sofa and also put a blanket there so they had some places to hide. They were very exited and curious and were running around. They were also grooming which I think is a good sign and they relaxed a little bit. The one that is more shy even fall asleep couple times he is also less curious and likes to sleep. So you may also try holding them on the sofa or on the bed it may help them relax a little bit. Hope that could help :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts