Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Target, and was very surprised to see a whole line of new stuffs. The company is called "Daily Blend, 8-in-1" and there are numerous things with their label. One product is a Pet Rat and Mouse food which I purchased, I also got a Wood Block with a hole and a Almond stuck in it toy, 3 pack. I know in the past the only rat and mouse food i could find is Kaytee's which I hear has carcinogen type ingredients and will not feed my rats that.

I am excited about this new food, it boasts, "Delicious, nutrition-rich blocks fortified with vitamins and minerals" "Nutritionally Complete made with corn and molasses" Also "This product is 100% nutritionally complete and meets or exceeds the nutritional requirements of rats and mice as established by the national research council".

It says Distributed by United Pet Group inc.
They have a conversion of food suggestion chart for switching to this food.

Anyhow, heres the real stats for you guys to check out and let me know if anythings awry:

Guaranteed analysis:

Crude Protein (min) : 16.5%

Crude Fat (Min): 5.5%

Crude Fiber (Max): 4.5%

Ash (max): 7.0%

Moisture (max): 12.0%

*(not sure what Ash is...)*

Okie.. Ingredients:

Corn, Wheat Middlings, Wheat, Ground Extruded whole Soybean, Fish meal, Cane molasses, Limestone, Dehulled soybean meal, Salt, Vitamin D3 supplement, dl-Tocopherly acetate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B-12, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (Source of vitamin K), Thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin A acetate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine hydrochloride, Folic acid, Maganese oxide, Zinc oxide, Ferrous sulfate, Cupric sulfate, Calcium iodate, Cobalt carbonate, Magnesium oxide, Choline chloride, dl-Methionine."

I work at a pharmacy and i know a handful of these things I deal out for people, but some of these are another language.

If anyone feels up to interpreting / investigating this new food It would be greatly appreciated.

I am, right now hesitantly excited. I do not wish to feed this to my rats before it gets a good review though.

=^_^=

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Not too good, sorry. :(

The first alarm is "rat AND mouse." They're different animals and have different nutrition needs, so you can guess it's no good if it's marketed for both.

They use corn as the first ingredient which is a filler and can mold very easily. Wheat Middlings are a filler, although I do like the wheat and Soybean extract, that sounds lovely. All the chemicals I haven't a clue about. And what IS that "ash" thing? Like, fire soot? That's weird.

The protein sounds a little on the high side of okay, except that it's a "min," which means that some days they could bet getting more. How much more, we'll never know... And that could be very bad.

This makes me a little concerned, though, since I know the company that I bought my yogies from is 8-in-1. But I would hope they couldn't screw up drops of sugar... :roll: And don't even worry about what they say, they can say anything they'd like.

Have you checked the diet sticky here? Ordering something online is going to be your best bet, either Harlan Tekland or Regal Rat, depending on what conclusion you come to from the arguments on the sticky. A lot of rat rescues sell HT, too, for a pretty decent price, so you get the satisfaction of knowing that you're not only feeding your own rats, but helping rescue rats, too!

The almond blocks sound good though! I do a lot of shopping at Target, too, and almost bought those myself.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ash is exactly what it sounds like, unfortunately.

Another filler...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I saw this stuff once too. In addition to what CaptainFlow pointed out, the molasses isn't really something to be boasting either, it's just sugar, really. Every product is going to say it's good and complete, because they want people to think it's good and complete.

It's better than Kaytee, but really Suebee's is your best bet if you can't get HT or Regal Rat.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It's actually not new... "8-in-1" has been around awhile now. Walmart has carried it for awhile. We've had it "surrendered" (well, with surrendered rats) a few times, and had it donated. It's no good.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
ash is actually what's left if you take the feed and burn all the organic residues off - it's an estimation of non-carbon mineral content (and usually an underestimation since high-temperature volatile minerals will often burn off too). ash isn't a filler and higher numbers are usually a good thing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thats cool, Ono.
For my area, I've never seen this brand of products before at least lol.
The only other things available are Kaytee's or dog kibble. I know dog kibble has quality standards, regulations and such which is a plus.
I have fed my rats Beneful healthy weight and more recently found Kibbles and Bits, even the original formula is way better.. I ended up buying the Senior formula cuz it has much less protein and fat. I seriously sat at like 3 different stores, comparing dog kibble brands and variations.
This 8-in-1 food kinda blows kibble outta the water, and besides fillers being unfavorable they don't seem to be harmful.
I will have to investigate these online-purchased rat foods, but I only have a bank debit card and am wary about much online activity with it.

The almond block is a big hit though! I placed it on the 2nd floor of the cage and Kane immediately dashed up and dragged it down with a clatter, even tumbled a bit at the bottom of the ramp, lol. She dragged it into the sleeping corner and was very busy for a long while. It is quite beat up at the moment, but still undefeated.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mink, feeding dog food alone is not a complete diet. It must be fed with Suebee's grain mix. Also, Kibbles n' Bits and Beneful are both very poor quality dog foods. The food you listed is a pretty poor quality rat food. Have you looked for Regal Rat? You can see if a store by you carries it by using the store locator on Oxbow's website: http://www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp

If you can't find that, I can show you where to order Harlan Teklad lab blocks online. If you can't order online, you can choose to make the Suebee's mix homemade diet: http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/ratfeeding.html#homemade

·
Registered
549 Posts
8 in 1 chinchilla treat has chicken by-products in it :-( I wouldn't trust anything the brand puts out

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Eek. In terms of "grade", Beneful (which is low as it is) is WAY better than Kibbles n' Bits. In fact, you can't get much worse. :( And again, they're both HORRIBLE foods for dogs and rats.

To keep rats on dog food as a "replacement" for blocks (which should only be done if you really don't have access to any *premium* blocks), you need to look at the premium foods: Canidae, Innova, Wellness, Authority Harvest Baked, etc... Senior or Lite, if they have varieties (some of the ultra-premium won't, because they're balanced for *all* dogs).

8 in 1 makes a treat with animal byproducts FOR an animal that is an herbivore (at least, by choice... I do know, in the wild, they will occasionally eat insects but general opinion is to feed an herbivore diet)??!?!? Wow. I think that says it all right there about the company.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Suebee's mix looks nice, maybe after this coming mega-ultra overtime paycheck I will go to the store. I also do give my rats Oat o's cereal and such.

Erm, I have never ever heard of any of those Dog food brand names..

Do you think Royal Canin is a good brand? I have to order it special from my vet cuz my dog has food allergies, he just gets the Venison and Potato formula, and I would not mind sharing some of that to make a rat food mix. Its super-expensive and from the vet, so I would hope its high quality.

·
Registered
520 Posts
OnlyOno said:
ash is actually what's left if you take the feed and burn all the organic residues off - it's an estimation of non-carbon mineral content (and usually an underestimation since high-temperature volatile minerals will often burn off too). ash isn't a filler and higher numbers are usually a good thing.
Hmmm. That is not what I've read...

I apparently need to update my research. :oops:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mink said:
Suebee's mix looks nice, maybe after this coming mega-ultra overtime paycheck I will go to the store. I also do give my rats Oat o's cereal and such.

Erm, I have never ever heard of any of those Dog food brand names..

Do you think Royal Canin is a good brand? I have to order it special from my vet cuz my dog has food allergies, he just gets the Venison and Potato formula, and I would not mind sharing some of that to make a rat food mix. Its super-expensive and from the vet, so I would hope its high quality.
Royal Canin is a lot better than the other foods you listed but it's still not very high quality. If you google any of the dog food names I have on my website you'll be able to find their websites and a lot of their sites have store locators on them. The lowest quality I would recommend would be Nutro Natural Choice Lite (a small step up from that would be Nutro Ultra Weight Management) but these are only if you absolutely cannot get any of the higher quality ones I listed.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Sparker said:
Hmmm. That is not what I've read...

I apparently need to update my research. :oops:
:) i am not trying to be a bratty know-it-all, but i seem to have an extraordinary talent for absorbing random, mostly useless information. this is what i learned in my nutrition classes, from my professor and the guest speaker he brought in that organizes the diets of all the animals at the denver zoo. i wish i could remember her name because i really want to speak with her about getting an internship there. :(

·
Registered
500 Posts
On the dog food route, I love the "Professional" brand...chicken is the #1 ingredient (not by-product, meal, etc.), and they don't use corn. However, I think the protein content would still be way too high for a rat, even in the senior variety. I think you're on the right track with Suebee's...I'm not a big fan of using dog food as a replacement.

·
Registered
549 Posts
ledzepgirl16 said:
On the dog food route, I love the "Professional" brand...chicken is the #1 ingredient (not by-product, meal, etc.), and they don't use corn. However, I think the protein content would still be way too high for a rat, even in the senior variety. I think you're on the right track with Suebee's...I'm not a big fan of using dog food as a replacement.
Suebees is fed with dog food, not the grain mix alone. Natural Balance Reduced Calorie Formula has the longest name and the lowest protein.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So.. what is this 8-in-1 food lacking?
Maybe I could mix it in instead of a dog food or 1/2 blocks 1/2 dog food for the Suebee's mix? I really like the fat and protein levels with the blocks, I have yet to see a dog food or even kaytee's be that low. The blocks have unfavorable things like fillers, but I have yet to hear of anything it contains to be harmful.

I tried the Innova web site and the location near me they gave.. is woods, has been my whole life. Weird.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have heard of Nutro before,
I know our dogs were on Eukanuba at one point when my dog's mom was pregnant with him and his siblings and when they were weaned they got Eukanuba and I think they may have had Nutro before also. =^_^=

1 - 20 of 28 Posts