Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a siamese rat from the pet store, we found out she was pregnant. She was amazing and we had no regrets! She had her litter last night and she became strange. She was on the opposite side of the cage and not going anywheres near her young. Finally after hours of watching her chatter her teeth and go no wheres near the pups we decided to take them out and hand feed. We are very worried but have the time on our hands are and serious animal lovers. We have the pups on formula and read online but would like some advice. They are also on top of a flees heated blanket. 2 have died (As they were first ones born and not with other pups when taken out) but the others are moving around. We've tried to get her to be interested in babies but she has NO interest what so ever. We are helping them pee and trying our best to feed them but any tips would help!

Also second thing is she's not acting herself. Shes chattering her teeth and her fur looks like its standing up. If someone could help by giving the best advice to keep babies alive please help. As the vet is closed and there are no nursing mothers in area (Also were hoping to keep one out of batch)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I cant post in any other section so if someone else could help me out and I could read it, Im really just a mess.... ( BIG time animal lover) :(

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Make another post here and it should open up.

She and(or) her litter could be sick. Try moving her to a very very small cage with the pups. Make sure she is getting extra nutrients and breaks from them.
Could you post a photo or video of her?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sometimes a mama's hormone level drops after giving birth, and so she doesn't respond to her babies. I agree that you should have them in close proximity, that might help her. But, if she doesn't respond within a day, I would treat the babies as if they have been abandoned. Use a heating blanket for the babies...on low temp....use a thermometer to watch that it stays at about 100 degrees. We once had to feed babies human formula for a few weeks because mom had died, and the babies thrived. How's mama doing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts