Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting two girls tomorrow and am so excited! I'm not sure exactly how old they are, but I am going to guess around 6 months, maybe a bit younger. I believe the cage I am getting to put them in can hold a larger group of rats, and as I have never kept more than a pair before I would really love to get a group of 4-6! So, having never done introductions before, what method do you think would be easiest for me to use, or the best to try first?

Also, I have a couple extra cages laying around. They are small, but would work as temporary homes. Would it be better to keep the two I am getting tomorrow in a smaller cage until I get the other rats I want also, and introduce them all to the large cage at the same time (after quarantines and introductions)? I wonder if that would keep some of the rats from thinking it was "their" home and trying to defend it.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Id recommend the carrier method of introductions. There's a sticky on the behaviour bit of the forum. The small cages would be great for that.

In terms of when to introduce it's worth thinking about aiming for a mixed age group. To many rats of the same age can lead to real hearty break. better to take your time and add a pair every 9 to 12 months and have a really nice rolling group than have 6 similar aged rats and have the heart break and cost of them all growing old together

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.