Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had rats before, but the internet seems to be full of information on what to feed these little dudes. However, with so much information, I am not sure which is credible, and which may be harmful for my rats.
For their staple, I picked out vita prima for rats. They seem to be liking it. I also give them leftovers from my bearded dragon, such as squash and blueberries. I also have seen that people seem to make out their own diets for rats, not using a staple. Is this more recommended? Also what would be a good premade food bag, like vita prima? I'm sure the brand I'm using now is not the best, I picked it out from petco after trying to find a rat-specific diet. I also give them treats that are made for rodents during bonding time and for good behavior.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. I want to give these guys a good life!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I give my girls regal rat adult food by oxbow as well as Martin's mouse/rat food. One likes one and one likes the other so I just mix both together.

Every person has individual preferences as far as what they like to feed their pets.

Personally I leave them food at all times (lab blocks) and I give them a mix of cucumber, yellow pepper, carrot, broccoli and arugula every night and in the mornings I just give them a tiny little bit of something to munch on.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
That's not the best diet. Commercially, I would go for lab blocks like Oxbow or Harlan Teklad. If you want, you can do la Shunamite type diet with or without blocks. http://www.ratforum.com/showthread....96-how-I-do-it-(picture-guide)&highlight=diet

You can also buy a premade mix from our member, Caged. She's really knowledgeable on the matter and the diet is so good. You'll be tempted to try it. http://www.ratsnacksnstuff.com/

Whatever you go with, you'll need about a pound of food per rat per month.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I definitely recommend Oxbow.. Noticed a drastic improvement in my babies' urine stench a few weeks after switching them over to Oxbow

1 - 5 of 5 Posts