Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I was a mouse owner for some year, but this year my last mouse died due to old age and I'm giving a break from mice.

I decided to have rats then, so I got two baby boys to keep me company.

I got an agouti - Emile - who's about two months old and a little dumbo baby - Remy - who is a bit over a month old, both from the same breeder. They arrived this Saturday.
So now the questions:

Emile (the bigger one) keeps leaving a little trail of pee all around the place. That includes me. Is that always going to happen, or will it at least lessen a bit over time?
His back is a bit oily, and his smell is a lot stronger than his brother's. Should I bathe him? I'm afraid of freaking him out and him and losing his trust, so I don't know what to do.

And Remy is skittish. I don't wanna force it too much as he's still adjusting to the new home, but Emile just opened up to me on the first day already and is already snuggly and calm around me. Remy laid on my lap and let me pet him on the first day too, but he was obviously more scared at first.
He sniffs me and started to nip my fingers - not hard, but it seems like he's 'testing' how hard he can bite.
And to get him out of the cage... he's a runner! I don't know if I just leave him alone for a few days or I keep trying to socialize with him.

Last thing: Emile is sneezing a bit. I used a towel as bedding for the first few days, then I changed it today to a plastic sheet to cover the bottom, and some toilet paper (It's a DIY cage because cages are super expensive in Brazil, so it has a wire bottom) to see if he keeps sneezing. What other things could be causing this? I know they have a fragile respiratory system, so...

·
Registered
680 Posts
The pee is normal. It'll lessen with time. They're just marking things they want to remember.

The oily back and smell is normal for the alpha. It's called "buck grease". In my experience these guys really don't like to be bathed so I doubt that will go over very well. You could try wiping him down with a baby wipe, but the grease and smell will return pretty quickly.

Keep socializing with Remy. He'll never get use to you if you don't. If you can you might want to take him with you into the bathtub and just sit in there with him for like 30 minutes. He'll get use to you and your smell and be more inclined to interact with you outside of the tub.

Sneezing could be normal. They do tend to sneeze a bit when they're introduced to a new environment. But if it doesn't go away soon you might have to get some antibiotics. One thing you'll discover is that while rats are cheap to buy they're expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello, I'm also from Brazil, and I got two male ratties on Sunday, haha.
As I'm a newbie myself, I'm definitely not the best person to answer your questions! But I do hope you have your answers quickly!
Best of luck with your new buddies. xx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts