Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum. I've been wanting rats for quite a while now, but once my sister and I got the option to get a rodent, she was so terribly insistent to get a guinea pig, that we got the guinea pig instead of rats. We've owned the piggy for three years now, and she's in good health. I have not really ever had interest in the guinea pig, and it seems my sister has the attention span of a fly. I seldom play with the piggy, yet I do pet it on occasion, clean the cage an feed and water her. My mother also helps with this on occasion, and claims that I am not responsible enough to have a rodent ever again. Another issue I need to get by is my fathers opinions. He agrees with my mother, and didn't want the rodent we already possess in the first place. I've shown him cute pictures of rats on the Internet, yet due to an issue he had in the past with these particular rodents. I really need help convincing. My mother, because generally if she has an opinion, he will agree. I know I'd probably have o wait until the guinea pig passes, but trust me, I'd never purposely kill her, and I'll be patient and wait for her to live a full life without suffering. I just need advice on how I'll convince my parents either now, or when the time comes. Thank you, in advance.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My best advice is to go with your parents to a knowlagable rat rescue. They can help teach and guide, and your parents can meet rats in need. Meeting rats wins people over more than lesrning avout them for some reason.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I do agree with Smilebud that if it is possible to introduce them to rats it may change their opinion of rats, it worked for me, my sister, and my husband when I got curious about rats. But, I think it would be best for you to really show responsibility for the guinea pig you already have. Give her attention, love her, play with her. It is not fair for her to suffer a lonely life because you and your sister have failed her and made a bad choice at the outset. Guinea pigs like rats are social animals that do better and are happier with a companion. You should really give her the love she has been missing and be truly responsible for her if you want your parents to see you as adult and responsible enough to choose rats in the future. You and your parents need to realize that one rat is not the best option. You should have 2, so you will need to show your parents a real sense of responsibility for your pets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with raindear. Your best bet is to love the piggy. They can be quite companionable. I've never owned one, but helped my younger siblings "pet sit" the class pig during winter breaks. Its kind of funny, my mom hated rodents and would have never volunteered for that if it wasn't for her becoming more understanding of my rats. (Note: it took 4 years to get my first rat and then I only got him because he was: A. a rescue from my school which is why he was a solitary rat. He had been alone for far too long was hyper aggressive to other rats and B. I was a senior in high school and moving to college so she only had to put up with it for 7 months). Since she knew I would be home over winterbreaks, she volunteered to have my siblings take Samson the guinea pig.

While initially shy, he was very loving and more than willing to sit in your lap for hours just being petted. He really enjoyed attention, out cage time, and playing.

While cavies aren't my cup up of tea and I wouldn't voluntarily own one if given the option between them or rats, they aren't bad and I would take one over no pet. You should definitely give her the love and attention she deserves. Maybe join a cavy forum to get ideas of how to play with her and bond with her just like here for rats. Their care can be very similar and you'll learn a lot about what to expect in responsible rat ownership. Every animal is a blessing and has something to teach us.

Taking a more forward thinking approach in her care will not only benefit the piggy physically and emotionally but also you. Your parents will see you are responsible. You appreciate what you are given, even if its not exactly what you wanted. What parents hate most about pets and kids, is they (parents) frequently end up as the care givers. I never did that to my mom with any animal that was specifically "mine" (my cat, hamsters, rats, fish. My dog was the family's dog but even then, I was her primary because she had been bought for me). If I had made her take care of my animals, she would definitely put an end to my ownership as she has since done with my younger brother and sister. And you, through taking a more active and decisive role, may find that cavy ownership isn't as bad as you thought and will benefit emotionally as well.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I have both guinea pigs and rats. I love my piggies but they are not interactive and hands on like the rats for sure.

I am not a fan of children getting pets that the parents don't want and love as well. It can make life difficult and the pets suffer. IDk how old u r but what happens when u go to college? What if u discover xyz is better for your pet but your parents refuse to get it? Will they shell out very expensive vet care for a small pet?

I would wait until u r older and can pay for it yourself completely or are on your own. Waiting sucks. But it is so worth it in the end.

Also back to the piggie. He is still a cute little pet and deserves a full life. (while also showing your parents how responsible u can be) you should devote yourself to him. Really guinea pigs need a friend, being by himself can make him quite depressed. You could also look into building a C&C cage. It is super fun to build and idk having a huge cage with fleece bedding always gives me more hands on as i try to design it that week lol. Also get a small animal play pen and take him outside in the grass.
Maybe try to teach him tricks?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts