Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys my name is Liam and I just yesterday got to beautiful little boys in my life. One is called Geralt and the other is called Rodney. Now I only got them yesterday but since we have been "home" they have barely moved from a corner in their cage. Now I get anxious on a daily bases but I need help with how to make them trust me. I'm probably worrying about nothing like usual but can anybody suggest anything that might help? I try and pet them and give them a small piece of apple when they let me but I feel really mean picking them up when all they want is to go down. Can anybody suggest anything like how often I should try to pet them and pick them up or should I just have patience and let them settle a bit more? Thank you so much for helping I'm just really worried they won't be happy with me.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
hello :)

It will be fine, the first couple of days are always like this.
When I get a new rat I try petting her first carefully. When she runs away I stop. Then I try petting her again, and try to stop petting her while she is still 'relaxed'. This way she sees that you touching her/him doesn't have to be stressful.
The next thing I do is this : I have a bag where I used to put my make up in, I cleaned it of course and I put her in there. Just go sit on the couch and pet her, let her fall asleep. The bag is so she doesn't run away. If you do this often, you will see results. Just be patient. My first rat started to play with me after a week.

Just be calm, don't be stressful, they can feel that (all animals can). Don't worry, it's going to be fine! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Take it easy, get quite a good ammount of (helathy if possible) treats and pet them, talk to them, be around them. They'll soon figure out that you really mean no harm and that actually you are a cuddling and treat machine so they'll come to you! I think it's best to announce your rats what are you doing so they know what to expect. Mine for example know that "take"means that they'll be getting treats and "what are you doing girls???(with my highest pitched tone)means they are going out of the cage to play, and some more phrases like that.

Try to be careful not to make too many sudden moves until they figure your size and intentions. Once they get used to you they should be really fine with you being a giant non-rat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts