Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so I've been researching getting rats for a few weeks now and I have been really putting thought into getting some, I know most of the general rules, but there is one big question still on my mind. I think that if I do get rats I would definetly prefer to get two boys, however I have read that males can be aggressive towards each other sometimes and although neutering can help with that I won't be able to do that right off the bat. Also since I've heard that you shouldn't focus on trying to handle them until 3-7 days of them being home and instead let them get settled in how do you go about introducing them?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Yes males can be aggressive towards each other. But not always. Tons of people have groups of males with zero issues. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst lol

I have 4 younger boys together that are amazing, no fights at all. Two are brothers and the other two I got close to the same time. I have two older boys that were together their whole life but now are just buttheads and have to live separate and alone. I do wonder if I hadn't tried introducing them to my other boys if they would have been fine together still.

Getting them together seems to help. As does getting them neutered.

You can handle rats right away. I surely would not wait a week to handle them. IMO it is nice to give them a day to get used to their new home.

I like to introduce my rats with a bath. I bathe them all together and then put them in a closed space like a carrier to let them dry & bond over their stressful bath. Then put them in a super scrubbed clean cage all neutral territory.

I would make sure you have a small cage that you could separate them if need me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts