Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This is my first post, and it's quite a broad topic. I'm not a first-time rat owner, and I'm experienced with skittish and occasionally nippy rescues for that matter, But I feel like I've found myself in a relatively odd position with my new pair.

Recently I took home a pair of PEW rats, a neutered male (Clyde) and an intact female (Bonnie). I knew perfectly well that I was adopting rats who needed an experienced home for their behavior issues, such as under-socialization and nipping/biting, as well as possible health concerns. Now that I've observed them overnight and interacted with them a little bit, I'm starting to think that Bonnie is blind. She's a lot less timid than Clyde but has nipped/bitten both the shelter staff and myself. My best guess is that she has a hard time knowing what's in front of her due to lack of sight and strange smells, and her fear leads to very aggressive warning/test nips.

Clyde has yet to interact with me at all but is apparently much sweeter. His medical history is more extensive, which most likely led to further socialization and more fear. He is very overweight, which I've never dealt with. He has difficulty climbing, and I'm not sure how to get his weight down in a way that doesn't affect Bonnie.

Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone had any specific ideas or experiences that I can give a try along with the basic trust training and "win their heart with food and time" tactic. I'm determined to provide them a comfortable, loving home.

·
Registered
941 Posts
he's a lot less timid than Clyde but has nipped/bitten both the shelter staff and myself. My best guess is that she has a hard time knowing what's in front of her due to lack of sight and strange smells, and her fear leads to very aggressive warning/test nips.
You can try to use the metal spoon method: let them approach you while holding a metal spoon with some kind of licking treat on it. This will allow her to get used to your smell by being near you, give her a positive association with being near you, and if she bites she will only get a mouthful of metal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts