Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :) My names Jamie. I'm 22 and living in Los Angeles currently.

I work at a local dog bakery and pet store and recently got my first pair of rats, Lucy and Diamond! Sadly I couldn't find a breeder close to me, so I ended up getting them from petco. Lucy is amazing and is already very attached to me, but Diamond is still very skiddish and wants nothing to do with me. I've only had them for about a week, but she did finally eat out of my hand for the first time in the cage today. I've read over quite a few different websites to help your new rat adjust to you, so if anyone else has some good tips and tricks that would be amazing!

ImageUploadedByPG Free1414918177.421047.jpg
Lucy.

ImageUploadedByPG Free1414918200.372323.jpg
Diamond

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you haven't already introduced them, that is a good start, rats tend to be more accepting of humans when they have an example to look to. If she is eating out of your hand then you are on the right track! You might consider trying something like baby food on your fingers so that she has to sit and linger to get her snack (warning though she may try to nibble or bite, if this happens let out a high pitched squeak to let her know that it hurts you and that you are not food). Otherwise, if she already takes food from your hand then you are on the right track :) don't try to move too quickly into holding her and observe her body language. Hope all goes well for your new babies!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts