Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone! obviously i'm new here. well, tonight i acquired 2 baby rats. i know nothing about rats themselves, but i have owned many-a-rodent in the past.

Misfit, is the first one i got. i went to the petstore at the flea market, (my daughter likes to look at all the animals...buying from most pet stores is against my better judgement) but i saw these little baby rats. sooo adorable! my home is already chock-full of rodent basics, so i thought i'd get one. upon inspecting Misfit, i saw his teeth were growing crooked. top curving sharply to the right, and bottom curving not-as sharply to the left. the right teeth are curving into his gums (i will be taking him to the vet to see if anything can be done for him.) but i took him to the counter and inquired about the teeth. the woman said to put him back and get another. (this either meant that they were just going to sell him to another person who probably wouldn't know to inspect his teeth, and he would probably die, or, they would "take him out back".) so home with us he came. i figured if the vet can't do anything, at least he can be humanely euthanized. he eats. very very slowly but he eats. and he nibbles my fingers, a little clumsily, but he can do it. so i hope they can do something for him. he may just end up needing regular trimmings.

Joplin- was gotten as a companion for misfit. and is doing just fine.

they are as sweet as can be!

right now they're curled up inside my shirt fast asleep.

i would greatly appreciate any advice (especially on the teeth.) i also am not sure that they are "boys" we've just been calling them "him and he". is there a particular food mixture i should be giving them? right now they have hamster blend, only because i'm not sure what fresh veggies are ok.or even if they are ok. i'll be browsing the forum for quite a while. that's for sure.

sorry for such a long post, it's just that normally i don't get a pet without making sure i know everything i can about it.

thanks in advance for any help/advice/suggestions.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You definitely have alot to learn about your new friends. I would suggest searching online for basic rat care sheets and info. Good for you for rescuing those rats... I rescued two would-be feeders and they are the sweetest things ever.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hey, congrats on your new friends,
I'm not quite sure what to tell you about the teeth issue. You're definately doing the right thing by taking him to a vet, and I applaud you for not just putting him back and taking him knowing that there are strong chances that it will need to be euthanized. And I agree with Dreadhead, you should definately look online for some rat care sheets, and if you have any questions you know where to post them :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts