Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm a new rat owner but I know that rats need to be in at least pairs to be happy... but when I went to purchase 2 rats the Petstore only had 1. I adopted him and have been searching for a second rat but I can't seem to find any...I've looked into rescuing but most organizations want to adopt their rats out in pairs or groups but I only have room for 1 more. I've been to 4 different petstores and check Petfinder every day...where can I adopt one male rat?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Pet stores are not the best places to get a healthy and socialized rat. As a new rat owner, rats from pet stores are even less advisable as they more often than not have behavioral problems. But you are right you need to find him a friend. Are they any rat breeder around where you live? Can you drive? Petfinder is a great way to save a life- How long have you had your single male?If there is no other options for you, I'm sure you could order another rat from your petstore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't drive and I've been looking into breeders but haven't found any remotely close. I think I may have to ask Petsmart to order one since I haven't found an individual rat on Petfinder- and some pet store rats might but mine is the sweetest He was shy when I brought him home but since we spend hours every day together he warmed up pretty fast.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why did you get only one pet rat at first if you knew you needed more? Wouldn't it have been better if you waited till you could get two rats? Also welcome!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, as soon as I saw him I fell in love. An associate took him out so I can hold him and he leaped into my arms- I couldn't leave him all alone after that. And thank you!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Honestly, as soon as I saw him I fell in love. An associate took him out so I can hold him and he leaped into my arms- I couldn't leave him all alone after that. And thank you!!
Aww he seems very specail. Good luck on getting him a buddy, bet he'll be a lot happier. Also if your old enough but don't have a car you could always get a taxi and go to a near by breeder. :3

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just give him some extra attention until you can find him a friend. You can ask a shelter if there are any pregnant mothers. Some come in like that and you can adopt the babies when they are ready.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait that's really smart because my shelter (St.Huberts in Madison NJ) has TONS of females and no males. I'm going to email them right away, thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Wait that's really smart because my shelter (St.Huberts in Madison NJ) has TONS of females and no males. I'm going to email them right away, thanks for the idea!
No problem! That's how I got two of my boys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts