Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!!

I'm a newbie rat owner (since late last fall). I've been reading voraciously but I thought I would join this community to have somewhere to bounce questions. I'm a moderator of a horse forum and also belong to a dog forum as well.

I acquired my ratties through the Humane Society I do social media and marketing for. They were surrendered in a big glass aquarium (pine bedding) with what looked like bird feed and Oxbow. They were well-handled (supposedly every night) and very friendly. One had two noticeable tumors. No one was adopting them and I really enjoyed playing with them so they became mine.

My first switch was to get them out of the aquarium and into a more well-ventilated situation without the pine bedding. I looked into foods and decided to just go with the Oxbow and supplement with fresh fruits and veggies (and the occasional dog treat here and there).

Unfortunately, the rat with the two tumors is no longer with me. One was under her arm- benign by my estimation as it was just a small ball free moving from any muscle tissue. It did grow a little in the time I had her, but not like the other. The other tumor was between her back legs, under the tail. It was definitely malignant- you could tell just by looking. It grew dramatically each week, and eventually became big enough that it was impeding her movement. The Humane Society vet said I brought her in precisely at the right time and humanely put her to sleep.

So I am now left with one adult rat. Supposedly about two years old... showing no signs of slowing down. She is/was the more dominant personality and does not seem particularly depressed in her mate's absence. She eagerly greets me by running up to the side of the cage any time I walk in the room. She loves treats and loves to clean out my pug's wrinkles ;) I try to let her have out-of-cage time as much as possible, but I still feel bad that she is 'alone'. Currently debating on getting her a friend, but with her age and all the other factors that apparently go into 'mixing' rats (including the fact she was dominant in her last pair), I've been hesitant.

Cookies if you read all this...:) Glad to be here!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
If you are interested in continuing with rats and your humane society doesn't have many rats, may I suggest Rattie Tattie Rescue? They transport. They hve some older (not old) males that are neutered which would probably be the best bet for companions to a dominant female.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts