Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new and just learning the rules here. Is it appropriate for me to ask questions about my new rats here? Or should I post in the general topic section once I have permissions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My rats are only 8 weeks old and so terrified, they are just hiding in their igloo & have not eaten or had any water since I brought them home almost 24 hrs ago. Is that ok? Everything I read about trust training involves offering food, and thy have no interest in food yet. I will just leave them alone for a few days if that's best, but just want to know if there is anything in supposed to be doing. Is it normal for them to be hiding out like this and terrified?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping to get approved to be able to post on the rest of the forum...how long does that usually take?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi RSTweed and welcome :)

For me (who registered just yesterday)...once I posted three times in this forum, I was able to post in the rest of the forums.

Does that not work for you?

·
Registered
835 Posts
gotta post 3 times then wait for 5-10 minutes.

Yes, it is fine that they haven't eaten yet it's completely normal. But try putting something yummy on their food to encourage them to eat.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Also completely normal that they're scared. Give them time it's only been a day.

·
Registered
555 Posts
That seems normal. Put a handful of food in front of them and leave them to do their thing. I'm sure they're eating and drinking, you might just not see them do it hehe.

Don't worry. In a few days they will be used to their new surroundings. Just make sure you go up to their cage and say hello to them and maybe offer a treat to them to start trust training slowly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! I will give them a few days if that's what is recommended - I know they are not eating because I counted what I gave them and none have been touched. They are not coming out of their igloo at all, not even to play with each other. I can give them more time but I was just worried that maybe they will never become tame...they seemed very timid at the store, too. Is it possible for them to come out of it eventually? I don't know how to get them to trust me if they have absolutely no interest in food. :( Wondering if I should have gotten a more tame, older pair.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just give them time ^^ They are very young after all. Give them a couple days then maybe if you see them become more active then take them out and start trust training.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You can also try immersion, which gets them interacting with you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will immersion work if they are too terrified to even eat anything? I don't want the poor things to have a heart attack from stress :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts