Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been feeding my two ratties Suebee's mix and dog food (about half and half) plus fresh fruit and veggies every day.
The dog food I bought isn't the best--I couldn't find a low protein food for senior dogs at all. The one I bought is called Actrium Holistic and doesn't have any corn or wheat fillers or artificial preservatives. It sounded like my best bet (and I read the incredient list of every dumb dog food in town).

But...it looks like the girls aren't eating it. They eat the Suebee mix and veggies, and they adore dog biscuits. But I worry they don't get enough protein this way.

Should I try a different dog food?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Probably. It took me a long while to find a dog food my boys would actually eat.

The AH has 24% protein, too high for a rat food.

What stores do you have available to you? Do they carry Nutro or Natural Balance or anything else? The low protein foods may not be senior foods. Weight management and vegetarian formulas can also be low protein.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I knew 24 % was too high, but it was the lowest I could find. I'm in Canada and we only have Walmart and a couple grocery stores. I could try our pet store, I haven't checked there because it's not a very good one (and seriously overpriced).

Which dog food do your rats like?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
They turned their cute little noses up at Nutro (and so did the dog, except mixed with wet food), and the Natural Balance Weight Management, but they did like the NB Veggie.

Dog won't eat the NB either...

But she's finicky. :lol:

·
Registered
627 Posts
I had the exact same problem, I live on the country side and we only have one tiny grocery store, so the selection of dogfoor to choose from was not very good, to say the very least. The best I could find was Pedigre Complete with 20% protein and 13% fat (which was only available in 3kg bags =/). Most of the brands recomended I'm not sure even exists in Norway.. :?

Is this okay? I'm always on the look out for something better, but this is the best I've found so far.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yeah, I'm lucky in a way for having two or three pet stores to look through, not to mention the groceries.

20/13 is still high in both categories.

If you can find lower in both that would be lovely.

I've also heard of someone feeding a raw diet, which sounds promising for members unable to find suitable foods due to other restrictions. But I'd need to see the plan before I'd know how easy it is. :lol:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Okay, thank you! I'm problably taking a trip in to the nearest town on Friday, so I'll be on the lookout! Hmm, what am I going to do with the leftover dogfood, when I find something better? Haha, I'll soon have 3kg dogfood and no one to feed it to.. :D

Oh, the raw diet sound interesting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts