Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello !

My names Christine. Ive just got myself two new baby male rats yesterday. They're very cute thought they are on the shy side. Hopefully they will begin to trust me soon. I can't wait to have a special bond with them.

Are there any tips to gain trust from shy baby rats ?

Thanks very much !

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hello Christine! Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the new boys, have you named them yet? I would check out Ratdaddys thread on Immersion in the behavior section. It is quite a read and great for new rat owners. Also, food is a wonderful trust builder. Find a favorite low-fat treat for them and shower them with it when they do something good like come to you or let you touch them!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I've named one champers, the other one I'm tossing up between Oreo or Sherlock. Haven't made a decision yet hehe.OK! Thanks for the info! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Christine! I am new to this site too, though not to rats. I haven't read the thread suggested yet (though I will after this!) but I wanted to tell you one of the things that always helped me. I would always talk to them and get them used to my voice. My rats were always in the kitchen and even if we were just passing through I would throw a 'hey boys, hows it going?' at them as I passed the cage. If I was cooking or cleaning I would sing or ramble and I even sat there and read out loud (though I am sure they didn't find payroll tax interesting, lol). After a few days, all I had to do was say hello and they would run to the cage door to say hi back. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello,new to keeping rats myself but they are turning out to be the best little companion animals ever. They are so social you should be snuggle buddies in no time.wishing you luck and happy ratties:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the welcomes! The rats are more comfortable with me now which is good. One of them now has a middle ear infection so he's on 2 antibiotics and anti inflammatory. Such a chore trying to give him medicine! Sometimes he's good, other times he's so stubborn!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts