Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got two rats in March both boys... A month later I found out one was a girl and the other was a hermaphorodite... Well in June my Hermy rat died from a freak wheel accident resulting in a broken neck.,. I was unable to get another rat until September, I got two 6 week old rats! Well last month one of them got. Respitory infection and It was progressing very fast so I made a vet appointment but they said they couldn't get her in for 3 days and she passed away that day before her appointment :(... Well I have been trying to introduce my remaining two for the past few months, and idk if it is working... Sam (my oldest rat) has been alone since June, and she is very skepticle of Meg (new rat). Meg is about 4 months old so she is pretty little compared to 11 month old Sam... Well I put them in the bathtub a few times to meet I set out toys and hidey places and treats and they were good! Well Sam ignored Meg, but Meg kept climbing underneath Sam and just sitting there... Sam didn't like it much. They sniffed each other's lady bits, and groomed each other a bit then Sam flipped out and rolled Meg over and Meg squeaked and Sam ripped out Meg's hair! Idk is this normal? So far so good? No blood no injury... But I want them to live together I HATE Meg's cage it takes forever to clean its a horrible cage... Sam went into a depression before I got Meg.. She's been perkier since even though they aren't together Sam is never aggressive toward me or the sibling (idk how to refer to it cause it's a he/she)... It seems like dominance? I put them in each other's cages for about an hour and came back and switched them back again and then after a few minutes put them back in the tub...again same situation Meg wants to be under Sam at all times idk why, and Sam wants to go about her own thing then they sniff each other and they are fine for 20 minutes or so before Sam like... Attacks?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Older females are notoriously hard to introduce to young rats, as they see it as another rat's baby. You may want to keep them separated until the baby is a bit bigger? I'm sure more experienced members will chime in...

·
Registered
479 Posts
4 months is old enough. The hair rip out seems bad to me, but we've had girls who did ok then had issues then did ok again. Girls are just tempermental, if they dislike someone they dislike someone. Honesty I would keep them together until there is blood. They may just need to work out how things go. Try the carrier method, just have something on hand to break up if a serious fight happens, and be prepared to put them in their cage if nothing happens. Multiple intros can make issues worse, We usually do one big intro and then leave it. With our girls we have done test intros, to see who the problem children might be, but we wait a week at least, usually two or three, after that before we do official intros.

·
Registered
479 Posts
She probubly is trying to treat her as her mother. That was a favorite spot for our babies. It's comforting and safe I'd imagine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts