Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I introduced a new baby to my two 12 week old boys today. I first let them meet whilst the baby was in the carrier and they sniffed him through the plastic. This went fine so I introduced them in a giant cardboard box which was totally neutral. It went really well, they sniffed him a bit, he followed them around, and then they were more interested in me and climbing out of the box.

I also got them a new cage with completely new toys today so there were no smells and no territories. They've all been in the cage together since about 12 today (it's now 8pm) and they've slept, played, groomed and eaten. Right now they are all awake but doing their own thing.

So far, there have been squawks from bubba, but I've been watching and all my boys have done is groom him, and not even hard. He's very confident and has built his own best so he seems happy in the cage.

Is it ok to leave him with them overnight? Or should I separate and reintroduce tomorrow? I don't want my two boys to establish the new cage as theirs and not let him in...

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
It should be fine. The first night for us humans can be stressful but for rats it's like a new roommate. They'll settle disputes and be close as can be soon enough.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts