Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone needs to save it from you, then you didn't actually save a rat..

Sorry, I made the mistake of looking through Craigslist ads. Apparently rat people are just as bad as cat people and yorkie people.

I never thought I'd ever meet anything worse than cat people, then, I ran into rat people. Rats have like the tiniest lifespan ever. If you have a rat you have to rehome just a couple months after obtaining it then you REALLY shouldn't say you rescued it in your Craigslist ad. You didn't rescue it, you actually prevented it from being rescued back when it was a baby and still cute by someone who may have been responsible.

I used to see this all the time at the shelter. People would adopt a cute little baby kitten and bring it back 9 months later. They actually have the nerve to say that they rescued it and gave it the best chance possible, but, now, they've decided to move, get a puppy, have a baby and they have to take the cat back. Somehow, they think their half-arsed attempts at raising it will make it a better candidate than it was as a kitten when they 'saved' it.

It's like, no fools, people like kittens, not cats that you haven't socialized well. The best thing you could have done is not adopt it in the first place so that someone halfway responsible could have adopted it when it was still cute and little.

At least cat people have some valid excuses sometimes, a lot can change in the 15-20 years a cat lives.

But seriously, if you end up with a rat that is a biter or something, how hard is it really to feed it, keep it's cage clean and let it out for exercise? I mean, it's a couple years. Most houseplants live longer than that.

Obviously, don't get offended if you are a person who actually keeps your pets for life. Then this rant isn't directed at you. But, if you keep buying baby rats out of feeder bins and then trying to place them on craigslist as soon as they aren't cute anymore you aren't really SAVING rats. Extra disdain if you do it over and over again each time hoping for different results. Seriously?

I thought I would take one last look around to see if some rats needed to be saved somewhere before committing to the breeder's rats. All I saw was a bunch of whiners who are "too busy" and want to find a new home for their rats because they are no longer cute enough to get a bunch of likes on Facebook. Newsflash, everyone's busy. Not a single one had a valid reason. Something like, losing house, lost job, chronic illness, death in family or so on. Just 'too busy'. Probably working the same job and in the same routine they had when they bought the rats to begin with, just the 'new' wore off.

Here's to not enabling a lazy whiner to feel less guilty about their lack of responsibility for their own actions.

Alrighty, got that out of my system.. Rant over.. LOL

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
If people would start with healthy, non-aggressive, well socialized rats, they would likely keep them for those two short years. Unfortunately people don't do their research, or can't be bothered to drive a few miles or even a few hours to find great pet rats. But people get all offended if someone would even suggest that rats from good breeders make better pets than store bought rats. And yes, there are a few rare pearls in pet stores, but many of those very rare pearls didn't come home that way- their guardians spent hundreds of EXTRA hours working with them to get them to the same level that rats from reputable breeders come with from day 1. Sooo many people won't spend months gaining the trust of a feeder rat, but can't be bothered to do their homework either. Very sad end result:(

·
Registered
994 Posts
That is why if you have to buy from a petshop you must handle them first. When I see people complain about biting or fearful rats that they got from a petstore, it makes me wonder, did they handle them at all or did they just point at them through glass and have an employee put them straight into a box? Atleast touch the animal before you buy it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts